Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, Atypical profile(Doctor, Self-Employed)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation, Atypical profile(Doctor, Self-Employed) [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 09:19
I am a 28 year old Doctor from India. I graduated from the Maulana Azad Medical College(University of Delhi) in New Delhi four years ago and have been self-employed in my own clinic as a general practitioner ever since then. I really think that I am good MBA material. But I want to hear what you guys say about my profile.

Here is some basic information about me:

GMAT Score: 770/99%; 50/92% for Quant and 47/99% for Verbal. I have scored 6.0/91% on the Essay. So the GMAT part is reasonably OK IMHO.
GPA: I am an Indian Medical Graduate and have studied from one of the best Indian Medical schools i.e the Maulana Azad Medical College. During my MBBS, I have scored 57% aggregate. I haven't yet found out how to convert this to GPA. I think 57% is about what the average student at my medical school scores. (Less than 1% students per year cross 75%). It has been 4 years since I graduated and I have not done a post-graduation.
Work experience: This is probably the weaker part of my CV. I have been self-employed since I left medical school i.e I have worked at my my own clinic. That raises the additional problem of not having any good Letter of Recommendation writers.
Leadership experience: Plenty of it when I was at medical school but very little of it since I left medical school. While I was at medical school I was elected the vice-president of the student body and I was also the head of the Literary society. Apart from this I was also the captain of the football team.
Extra-curricular: Again, Plenty of it when I was at medical school but very little of it since I left medical school. I have won various prizes in debates, dramatics, football, chess, hockey etc. etc.

My main concern is that ever since I left medical school, I have been self-employed. Consequently, I have no good letter writers, No leadership experience and no extra-curricular achievements to show. Overall though, I am an all-rounder and a very knowledgeable individual.

My questions specifically are:
What kind of B-schools can I apply to and hope to get into for an MBA?
Should I consider Masters' degrees other than MBA like Masters in Public Policy or Masters in Hospital Administration etc. ?

So what do you think are my chances? I'd be grateful for an honest and thoughtful appraisal. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation, Atypical profile(Doctor, Self-Employed) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 19:04
Expert's post
Chesswriter:

Thanks for your profile details. you have an interesting story, which sometimes can actually get the attention of the adcoms. Certainly your GMAT will get you noticed, and being an MD will definitely be viewed as an atypical background. This you should leverage as a good thing, because it gives you a different perspective. The healthcare industry is a very hot topic right now and understanding this industry can be a real asset. B-schools are always looking for ways to diversify their student body and if you have a compelling vision for your post MBA career and why you want the MBA, you could have a shot at a top school. You seem worried about your being "self employed," but this I would say is entrepreneurship at its finest and running your own practice is akin to running your own business. Hopefully your practice has been successful and you can tout the skills you have garnered in building it. As for recos, you can do like other entrepreneurs and use vendors perhaps? Since med school is like a job, one reco could also be from a professor or residency supervisor maybe? Just throwing out ideas. Let us know if we can be more specifically helpful.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews