Cindy, huge thanks in advance for any feedback on the below. I feel I have a peculiar story to tell, but would like to understand any potential weaknesses in my profile, especially for applications at top US schools.
Male, Italian, currently 28. Lived in London since 2008.GMAT
740 (Q49/V41), IR 8, AWA 6Education
1) Bachelor in Management of Public Administration (taught in Italian) at Bocconi University, top Italian business school.
GPA: 4.0. Final Result: 110/110 cum Laude. Graduated in 2006.
2) MSc in Finance (taught in English) at Bocconi University.
GPA: 4.0. Final Result: 110/110 cum Laude. Graduated in 2008.
Awarded with 'Scholarship for Outstanding Students' (50 scholarships vs 2000+ students), with full exemption from MSc fees.
Exchange Programs: 3 months in a high school in South Africa in 2002 with American Field Service; 1 month at Shanghai’s Fudan University in 2005; 4 months at Copenhagen Business School in 2007.Extra-curricular Activities
• 5-year volunteering with American Field Service (Intercultural Programs), 2003-2008. Appointed President of Milan's Local Chapter in 2006-2008, managed 25+ volunteers across all activities of the association. Invited by Italian Secretary General to be part of the national Committee for 3-year Strategic Plan in 2008.
• Wrote, played and produced (voice, guitar/bass, keyboards, drum programming) 3 albums between 2007 and 2011, distributed physically through e-commerce store and digitally on sale on iTunes and other retailers.
• Led a 3-piece cover band in 2009/2011, performed several acoustic gigs in small London venues.
• Studied Russian at London's main Russian-culture centre since 2011. Become a member of the association, and organised 2 events focusing on Soviet rock music.Work Experience
Over 6 years of experience in London.
1) Morgan Stanley: my career started with a Summer Internship in 2006. Received full-time job offer, but decided to pursue MSc, thus converting the offer into a 2nd internship in a different division in summer 2007. Started full-time job in July 2008 (M&A Real Estate). Tough working conditions, partly due to the financial crisis that started back then, made me soon realize that banking career was not the one for me. I took the most difficult decision of my life and resigned in December 2008, with the dream of pursuing a heartfelt career in my true passion, music.
2) Universal Music: hired in March 2009. Rapid and consistent progression across 2 divisions (International and UK). Promoted from Analyst, to Manager, to Head role in less than 18 months. Involved in several key projects, and currently leading (i) analysis of existing business partners (ii) commercial negotiations for distribution of digital rights in the UK, dealing with wide range of partners (big tech companies, ISPs, supermarkets, music startups, etc.). Currently managing 2 analysts. Various examples can show a profound impact on the worldwide organisation, through leadership, innovation and adaptation of strong quantitative skills to specific industry challenges.Why MBA Now, and Goals
I am very happy with my job, and I would like to raise the game in 2015. MBA would provide me with a wider angle on several industries and let me refresh/learn management principles I am currently not exposed to.
Short term: slight industry change. The aim is to get a directing role at a top global Technology company (Digital Content/Internet Services), either in the US or UK.
Long term: relocate to Italy with a senior exec position in a top global Technology company. My ideal goal would be to contribute to the development of Italian tech/digital industry – I could welcome involvement in the public sector at a later stage.Target Schools
1R at Stanford, Columbia, MIT, Harvard, London Business School. US school would be preferable.
my blog about the Stanford GSB experience (class of 2017): http://inacityofthefuture.fm/