Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - business consulting, NGO, operations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation - business consulting, NGO, operations [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 04:20
Hello

I would really appreciate if the experts here can evaluate my profile, thanks.

I am Vaibhav, Indian male, an engineer by qualification but have never worked in IT or engineering related roles.
Below is the snapshot of my profile.

GMAT : 680 (Q49, V34)

Experience : 5.5+ years

Profile : Currently a business consultant, helping an American Social enterprise to set-up India and Bangladesh operations.
1.5 years - Earlier - Business Head for a retail company and helped them set up a retail sore network
Also worked in strategy consulting, sales and business development with same organisation
2- year full time teaching fellow with a leading NGO, taught full time in a school in a slum community in Mumbai
1.5 years - Global management trainee in worlds biggest sourcing and trading company, worked in India, Hong Kong and China

10th : 70%
12th : 75%
B.Teach : 71%

Companies : Two of them very well known, other 2 relatively unknown
Other work- consultant to another social enterprise, also founder of an international(South Asia) conference series - topic: Peace

Strength : Diverse experience, can actually show a need of academic degree, extensive work as a manager and in leadership positions, leadership initiatives, genuine work experience in non-profit sector

Weakness : Low GMAT score, bad academics
Kindly can you please suggest whether I should re appear for the GMAT and try to improve my score or should I go ahead with this score apply

Institutes I am targeting: INSEAD, ISB, XLRI, IIMs ( last three all in India)

Would appreciate help, also if I have breached posting rules or there is some other forum on which I should post please do let me know. Thanks.

Vaibhav
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - business consulting, NGO, operations [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 05:53
Expert's post
Vaibhav,
Good to hear form you!
First of all, your GMAT is not "low". It's very good! It's just a bit lower than "perfect" :), but plenty of people get into these schools with lower than a 720 (although it CAN help ;) )

But you DO have other things that are great: 1. Not IT!!! 2. Business consulting!! 3. REAL global experience.

All of these will help start to help you stand head and shoulders above those who have never left the country and are stuck coding away, but with 720 GMATs! :)

The one "concern" I see most obviously from this brief snapshot is your work experience, which seems like it can be "all over the place".. so what you need to do, it to take ALL your work experience, and build it together into a cohesive story, one which leads directly into your goals. This will be one of the most important parts of your application. And other than that, focus heavily on your unique points (Pan-Asian work experience, and Business consulting + NGO)

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!