Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Please Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation- Please Help! [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 02:29
Hi there,

Been lurking around these forums for the 3 weeks or so now. I'm hoping if anyone could provide me with some advice as I'm in a dilemma at the moment. I took the GMAT today and scored a disappointing 630 (Q47 V30).

This didn't come as a major surprise as my GMAT PrepScores were similar aswell - 640 (Q44, V34) and 620 (Q49, V26). It was disappointing nonetheless as I put in a lot of effort in the last 2 weeks to improve upon my verbal.

Based on my profile, I was wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT and try to aim for a 700+ score. I have aspirations to join one of the top 10 business school programs (who doesn't!),

Looking at LBS, Wharton, INSEAD, Oxford Saad, Berkley Haas, Northwestern Kellogg etc. Pursuing an MBA is a significant opportunity cost and I want to make every penny count!

Here's my profile:

Education: Electrical Engineer
Country/ Citizenship: Australian
WE: 3 years at AECOM which is an American based top tier Engineering design consultancy.
Undergraduate: Top engineering school in Australia.
Academics: Top 10% of my class (Weighted Average Mean of 80), Graduated with First Class Honours.
High School: India

Extra Curriculars: Small leadership roles throughout University. Was a student mentor in my last two years. Presently sit on the Graduate Committee at my workplace representing my business line. Otherwise, nothing major.

Notable Academic achievements: Included in the Dean's Honour List, Received a full fee scholarship for my undergrad (which is a significant for an international student studying in Australia).

Post MBA Goals: Would be to transition into strategy consulting. Possibly start something on my own.

So, based on my profile, would you recommend retaking the GMAT? If I get a decent score the next time around, what are my chances? Or, would I stand a realistic chance of targeting these schools based on my present GMAT score?

My main concern is time, since I will have to start researching and preparing my applications aswell. I will be pressed to hit the R1 deadlines for most schools, if I take the GMAT in 1.5-2 months time and then start on my applications!

Thanks in advance for having the patience to read my long post. Would appreciate some guidance. :)

Regards,
Kaushik.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation- Please Help! [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 10:03
Hi Kaushik,

Your profile looks fine. The only concern is your GMAT score which is on lower side. Would suggest achieving 700+ to strengthen your chances in top b-school(s). Having said this, you need to present strong application essays and showcase headship qualities, achievements in or outside work place, ability to work with others & other aptitudes during the final interviews. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

ZoSoKM wrote:
Hi there,

Been lurking around these forums for the 3 weeks or so now. I'm hoping if anyone could provide me with some advice as I'm in a dilemma at the moment. I took the GMAT today and scored a disappointing 630 (Q47 V30).

This didn't come as a major surprise as my GMAT PrepScores were similar aswell - 640 (Q44, V34) and 620 (Q49, V26). It was disappointing nonetheless as I put in a lot of effort in the last 2 weeks to improve upon my verbal.

Based on my profile, I was wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT and try to aim for a 700+ score. I have aspirations to join one of the top 10 business school programs (who doesn't!),

Looking at LBS, Wharton, INSEAD, Oxford Saad, Berkley Haas, Northwestern Kellogg etc. Pursuing an MBA is a significant opportunity cost and I want to make every penny count!

Here's my profile:

Education: Electrical Engineer
Country/ Citizenship: Australian
WE: 3 years at AECOM which is an American based top tier Engineering design consultancy.
Undergraduate: Top engineering school in Australia.
Academics: Top 10% of my class (Weighted Average Mean of 80), Graduated with First Class Honours.
High School: India

Extra Curriculars: Small leadership roles throughout University. Was a student mentor in my last two years. Presently sit on the Graduate Committee at my workplace representing my business line. Otherwise, nothing major.

Notable Academic achievements: Included in the Dean's Honour List, Received a full fee scholarship for my undergrad (which is a significant for an international student studying in Australia).

Post MBA Goals: Would be to transition into strategy consulting. Possibly start something on my own.

So, based on my profile, would you recommend retaking the GMAT? If I get a decent score the next time around, what are my chances? Or, would I stand a realistic chance of targeting these schools based on my present GMAT score?

My main concern is time, since I will have to start researching and preparing my applications aswell. I will be pressed to hit the R1 deadlines for most schools, if I take the GMAT in 1.5-2 months time and then start on my applications!

Thanks in advance for having the patience to read my long post. Would appreciate some guidance. :)

Regards,
Kaushik.

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation- Please Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 10:47
Expert's post
Hi Kaushik,

Overall, your profile is fine. Strong undergrad, international exposure, non-IT work. Let's not get bogged into those details just yet.

GMAT: Yes, you have to take it again. You aren't competitive at the top 10 at the moment with that score. It's only one part of your application but it's a big part and given your background, you're going against applicants with an average GMAT score of ~720. If you get it into the 700+ range, then you are in a position where some of the top 10 (#7 - 10) are possible stretch programs for you.

I'm about to post an article in the "Ask an Admissions Consultant" thread that speaks directly to your last point. If you're taking the GMAT again, you probabyl won't hit R1 deadlines. You need to focus on the GMATs and the GMATs alone for the immediate future.

I would advise you to read the article for some more verbiage around why but don't become fixated on R1. If you're not ready, you aren't ready and that's ok. Take it to the mattresses in R2!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation- Please Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 21:39
Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for your response. Yep, I've started preparing to retake the GMAT.

Have you posted the article in relation to Round 1 and Round 2 admissions? I can't seem to find the link...

Regards,
Kaushik.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation- Please Help! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 04:29
Expert's post
Hi Kaushik,

Absolutely - you can find the article here and if you want to read more of our articles, they can be found here.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Profile Evaluation- Please Help!   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2013, 04:29