Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation & Canadian MBA schools - please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation & Canadian MBA schools - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 11:26
Hello,

I would like some feedback in regards to my current profile (overview) as well as the Canadian MBA schools I am considering applying to. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- BCOMM from an AACSB accredited school (major accounting) with an overall GPA of 3.57
GPA last year (10 courses = 3.77)
GPA last 2 years (20 courses = 3.66)

- Graduate Diploma in Chartered Accountancy from AACSB accredited school with overall GPA of 3.73

- in the process of becoming Chartered Accountant (CA) awaiting CA exam results in December 2009 and with a passing result, will be a CA by June 2009

- summer of 2010: successful CA exam means I will likely get my CPA designation in the Fall 2010

Academic Memberships
- member of Beta Gamma Sigma (top 10% of graduating class in BCOMM at AACSB accredited school invited to join)
- member of Golden Key International Honour Society (top 15% of faculty or major program invited to join)
- alumni member of Institute for Co-operative education during BCOMM at AACSB accredited school

GMAT
- GMAT not yet taken. Planning to take it in April or May 2009 (likely April 2009)
- without any studying, scored a 460 on an MGMAT practice test (I know it's low but am working on bringing that up in the mid-600s)

Work Experience
- 3 years work experience between CA firms as an external auditor which involves planning & supervising audit engagements (includes efficient work methods by ensuring enough time to complete work and respecting budget considerations), training and assisting junior and intermediate staff on mandates, maintaining professionalism and communication with clients, able to work in teams under tight time deadlines, able to work under pressure and stressful situations while maintaining control over audit approach and client demands, and firm recruitment activities such as presentations and reports made to partners within the firm of ideal candidates, points of improvement and on-going feedback.
- 6 months as a financial/project analyst at a tech company by analyzing project yield analysis of all on-going and past projects in which the findings were presented senior managers and sales engineers in order to help streamline the project management process and realize better yields on projects going forward

Volunteer Experience
- Breast Cancer Walk: aided my mother in raising funds for breast cancer walk through network of contacts by illustrating how breast cancer affects many families in order to solicitate donations, following up by phone/emails and giving presentations
- Not-for-profit hockey tournament security volunteer: for 10 years, I a volunteer a not-for-profit hockey tournament in which I helped with co-ordinating security staff, scheduling of staff volunteers, maintaining peace amongts players, parents and coaches, and initiated a system to reduce waiting time upon entering the arena (better people flow traffic)

That is the "big picture" of myself. I have put as many details as I can think of.

Canadian MBA schools I am considering applying to:

Canadian MBA schools:

(1) Queen's Accelerated MBA for Business Graduates
(2) MBA - Richard Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario)
(3) HEC Montreal MBA
(4) Schulich School of Business MBA (York University)
(5) Sauder MBA (UBC)
(6) MBA Rotman School of Management

If possible, I would like to know what these schools are looking for and what I need to do in order to get into these schools. I will only be applying for these programs sometime in 2010 (for 2011 admission consideration).

Thank you

BLITZ
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation & Canadian MBA schools - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 15:33
Blitz,

You should be competitive at all these schools if you could get a GMAT in the mid-600s. I'd be glad to help you with your questions but I'm afraid they're too broad for this forum. If you're willing to sign up for an hour of consulting at Accepted.com, I'd be glad to answer them for you.

--Paul

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation & Canadian MBA schools - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 17:10
Paul,

Let me know what needs to be done and how the hour of consulting works, etc. You can send me a private message if it's easier.

Thanks

BLITZ
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation & Canadian MBA schools - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 18:51
Blitz,

Thanks, I just sent you an email. Looking forward to working with you.

--Paul

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter