Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Chances of top 10?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - Chances of top 10? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 16:13
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. I am looking to apply for Fall 2013 entrance.

Undergrad: BA Accountancy, 2008, Top 35 business school
GPA: 3.18 (graduated in 3 years)

Grad: MS Taxation, 2012, Same school as undergrad.
GPA: 3.13 (completed part-time while working full-time)

GMAT: 710

Registered CPA in Massachusetts
Nationality: American (of Syrian descent)

Work Experience:
4 years work experience at Big 4 accounting firm. Experience in tax and audit. Promoted to Senior Associate and will have 2 years experience at that level upon entrance. Continuously gaining more leadership and responsibility roles within the firm. Heavily involved in campus recruiting and peer mentoring within firm. Selected as one of 3 associates to participate in National Leadership Adventure (program to recruit top intern candidates from around the country). Currently working in Financial Services but have experience in International consulting.

On the side, I am involved in various charitable organizations. Organizing a 2nd annual fundraiser to bring awareness to men's health. Organizing a Jimmy Fund Golf Tournament. Participate in other charitable organizations but have no official titles.

In college I had lots of involvement in our community service organization serving as a leader on the board. Heavily involved in athletics (and still am). Member of Accounting/Finance business fraternity and in a leadership role.

Essentially, I am still mulling Management Consulting or Finance (i-banking/i-management/PE) I am curious as to my chances of the following schools:

1: Harvard (dream)
2: Columbia (dream/reach)
3: MIT
4: NYU
5: Chicago
6: Northwestern
7: Duke

I know my GPA's were low but have various excuses/reasons to explain them such as having been diagnosed with a tumor and having massive surgery 2 weeks before a semester began and not missing a day.

Any advice will greatly help!

Thank you very much for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Chances of top 10? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 16:06
Expert's post
Hi, Futurebostonmba,

Thanks for your post. In terms of academics, your GMAT is in range for these programs, assuming you got at least 80th percentile on each section. As you mention, your GPA is low for their averages, but given the circumstances, you can address this in the optional essay. Just be concise stating the situation and a few data points that are an accurate reflection of your true academic abilities. Four years of work experience is also at average or slightly below average depending on the program. It sounds like you have some good examples of leadership and progression, so you will want to highlight those. You should also highlight leadership examples from your community service. You want to nail down your future career goals. Based on those goals, you will highlight the skills and experiences that you have already that are a solid foundation for that plan. Picking the right program for you will also depend on that path and what you still need to learn to get there. The question you will need to be ready to address is why an MBA right after obtaining your MS in Taxation? You are going to need to make a strong case for what you need to learn in addition to that program and/or why you are making a career change right after finishing that degree.

Good luck,

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php