Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
Profile evaluation - Chinese male, 760 GMAT, 3 years work ex [#permalink]
14 Jun 2014, 05:39
I would really appreciate any insight you could provide with based on my profile:
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do? By the time I enroll, I will have worked 4 years at a Fortune 2000 global company based in Midwest. I have been working as Manufacturing Engineer in a plant for 2.5 years. I traveled extensively to work with international suppliers and led capacity installation projects. I was recently promoted to a senior engineering position within Corporate Purchasing, effective next month. I also worked as an intern for half year at BMW in Germany while in College.
2) GMAT 760 (Q51/V41), AWA 5, IR 6
3) College info: 2 years in China, finished some courses 4.5 years in Germany, Bachelor + Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, GPA equivalent to 3 (a decent rating in the German school) 0.5 years in the US as visiting scholar completing Master's Thesis
4) Significant extra-curricular activities or community service. During college, president of the Chinese Student Association, organizing culture events Avid traveler across 4 continents
5) Important certifications: No proper certification Native Mandarin speaker, fluent in English and German, some knowledge of Japanese.
6) Your target programs: Top US programs - M7 + Haas, Ross, Yale, Anderson
7) When you plan to apply? R2 2014 (may a couple in R1)
8) Your post-MBA goal. Career Change - I want to make greater impact to the business from strategy level instead of operation level, by starting from Consulting. Mid term goal is management/leadership role in supply chain. Long term goal is corporate management/leadership role. In terms of geography, preferably in the US for the next 5 years.
Again, any suggestion and recommendation would be much appreciated! --
Re: Profile evaluation - Chinese male, 760 GMAT, 3 years work ex [#permalink]
17 Jun 2014, 16:58
I would say that probably you are a competitive applicant to programs of all levels, including M7, which of course would be reaches, albeit reasonable ones. While it would make sense to apply to some programs at that level, coming with a technical background, which is a somewhat over-represented group, you should also apply to programs of the next level as you mention, e.g., Ross and Anderson.
Especially for the most competitive programs, one key factor will be the quality of your work experience – not just what you do and at what level, but what is your actual track record, your impact? How have you demonstrated leadership at work? And have you excelled among accomplished peers? Adcoms to top programs look for a track record of advancement and achievement at work.
In discussing your goals and experience, highlight any business exposure, even if indirect, and try to frame the discussion from a business perspective, not just purely technical. Doing so will add credibility to your goals.
By the way, have you thought of NYU? It seems like it also might be a good fit, and your profile might interest them. _________________