Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:17
Hi,

I am looking to apply this Fall 2014, I would appreciate it if you could evaluate my profile.

Male, 26 Years Old
Born in Hong Kong, emigrated to UK aged 10 (dual citizenship)

GPA: Upper Second Class - Top 10 non-Oxbridge UK University
Major: Mathematics (University ranked #3 in the UK for this subject)
Individual grades fluctuated wildly but there was noticeable improvement year on year
GMAT: 740 (Q48, V44)

Work experience:
4.5 years (5.5 years at matriculation)
Insurance – underwriting private equity fund managers, hedge fund managers and other financial institutions. Responsible for developing client and broker relationships.
Leadership role:
- Currently heading up a team comprising of more senior team members in developing a Cyber insurance product to mitigating an emerging risk.
- In my previous role, I was responsible for managing the budget and forecasting for a team of 20+ and a budget of $150m
- Streamlined certain processes to increase efficiency significantly (I will elaborate further in my resume regarding percentages and $ cost savings)
International experience: Regularly deal with clients and brokers from all over the world due to London being the recognised international centre for insurance.
Promoted once and anticipated to be promoted shortly.

Extracurriculars:
1) Music – Accomplished musician in Violin and Piano. I have performed with Orchestra and chamber groups since I was aged 6. Some leadership roles in arranging and leading some of these groups. I am also a self-taught electric guitarist.
2) American Football – I was not a good athlete during school but fell in love with the sport. I ended up representing my university and continued to play for amateur sides until last year when I retired due to injury. I won a National Championship with an amateur team. I am looking to get my coaching credentials to pass on my love of the game.
3) Some occasional volunteering with work to help put together a sports day for disadvantaged children in London. I captained a team of 15 children last year during one of these events.

Languages: English (Native), Chinese (Native), German (Basic), French (Basic)

Short term goal: Management consultancy. I am hoping to use my existing analytical skills and work on projects focusing on marketing position and entry into emerging markets.

Long term goal: Leverage the skills learnt from MC to return to Insurance in an international development role to establish overseas operations. In particular focusing on China due to take advantage of my knowledge of the area and language skills.

Target Program - Fall 2014:
HBS (R1) - Reach
Kellogg
Tuck (R1)
Booth
Wharton
LBS (R2)

I will try and apply to 4 schools in R1 and 2 schools in R2.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 10:26
Thank you for your posting.

Based on what you provided, you have the potential to be a competitive candidate at all the schools on your list (of course, being more competitive at some schools than others). Regardless, with a strong and compelling application -- admissions will consider you to be academically and professionally qualified.

There are two areas of concern that I have with your application -- that you are going to have to work hard on to overcome. The first is your variable academic record - which is somewhat mitigated by a very high GMAT score. The other is that you come from a very competitive demographic group and this means that the actual acceptance rate for your group is actually much lower than the overall acceptance rate.

I would also encourage you to apply earlier rather than later. I know you have your reasons for waiting until 2014, but most of the schools on your list prefer slightly younger candidates so being 26 is going to be an advantage over being 27/28.

Regardless of all these details, you are going to have to submit a top notch application -- with strong essays, recommendations, linkages, interviews, resume, etc. This is not an easy task and is going to take a lot of time, energy and effort. Remember that each of the schools on your list attracts a world-class applicant pool and the overwhelming majority of candidates invest a significant amount of time, energy, effort and resources into this process.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:24
ManhattanReview wrote:
Thank you for your posting.

Based on what you provided, you have the potential to be a competitive candidate at all the schools on your list (of course, being more competitive at some schools than others). Regardless, with a strong and compelling application -- admissions will consider you to be academically and professionally qualified.

There are two areas of concern that I have with your application -- that you are going to have to work hard on to overcome. The first is your variable academic record - which is somewhat mitigated by a very high GMAT score. The other is that you come from a very competitive demographic group and this means that the actual acceptance rate for your group is actually much lower than the overall acceptance rate.

I would also encourage you to apply earlier rather than later. I know you have your reasons for waiting until 2014, but most of the schools on your list prefer slightly younger candidates so being 26 is going to be an advantage over being 27/28.

Regardless of all these details, you are going to have to submit a top notch application -- with strong essays, recommendations, linkages, interviews, resume, etc. This is not an easy task and is going to take a lot of time, energy and effort. Remember that each of the schools on your list attracts a world-class applicant pool and the overwhelming majority of candidates invest a significant amount of time, energy, effort and resources into this process.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Thanks Kimberly for your response. It was in fact a typo I am intending to apply this Fall as opposed to 2014.
Re: Profile Evaluation - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 11:24