Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Consider Retaking 710 GMAT? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think it is feasible...I've had clients get 40-50 point increases in that amount of time...but it depends on the person, your study habits, which parts of the test you're struggling with, etc. And I also think it could be a fair amount of work so it's up to you if you think your time is best served focusing on that or other parts of your application. I still do think a higher score would help your application, especially if you want to keep that same list of schools. I'm not really an expert in the mechanics of the test though so if you want to get more personalized advice about your strategy, I recommend you reach out to a GMAT expert on a forum like this: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ns-f9.html

Keep me posted on what you decide, and good luck if you do decide to give it another shot!

MikePulner wrote:
Thank you for the insight!

I took a GMAT Prep practice test after not studying for the GMAT for over a year and scored a 680.

Do you believe it is feasible for me to increase to a 730 over the next few months?

Thanks again!
Mike

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Lots to like! Your GPA is really strong (especially in engineering), Deloitte is a well-known firm with strong MBA placements, your extracurriculars and passion for veterans' causes is very admirable, and I especially like your start up experience. Hopefully that ties in with your post-MBA goals?

As I'm sure you know the schools on your list are extremely competitive. Yes, I think you've got a shot at them but I also think you should do everything in your control now to maximize your chances. Your 710 is a great score but it is below average for those schools so yes, I would try giving it another shot (you've still got plenty of time before Round 1 deadlines) and see if you can get a slight boost. It may be easier to gain points by focusing on Verbal. Plus there's no harm in trying again since all schools will accept your highest score and never penalize applicants for taking it multiple times.

But if you decide not to retake, or do and can't increase your score, then I think you still have plenty of strengths to highlight. You might just want to plan to apply to 1 or 2 slightly safer schools in Round 2, and hopefully you'll end up not needing them!

Good luck!
Kate

MikePulner wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review my application.

GMAT: 710 47Q 40V 8IR 5.5AWA
GPA: 3.86 Industrial Engineering at a state university
Work Experience: 4 years at matriculation in technology consulting at Deloitte

Extracurricular:
Created a start up focused on developing mobile applications focused on health and social impact (strong user base, partnership with health charities, health impact can be reported)
Support the Wounded Warrior Games as a volunteer
Part of a team that plans a yearly charity golf tournament support the Navy Safe Harbor foundation (planned this event for the past 3 years)
Lead a recruiting team at my alma mater for Deloitte
Health and fitness (running, lifting, golf, tennis)

Other Key Points:
I come for a family of veterans and chose to enter the federal consulting space and support various extracurricular to support our military. Throughout working in technology I realized my passion for digital health and helping people to live a healthier lifestyle so I started a company focused on developing mobile applications to help facilitate this.

Round 1 Target Schools:
HBS
Kellogg
Wharton
MIT
Haas

Do you feel that I have a shot at my target schools? Should I consider retaking the GMAT to make myself more competitive? I took the GMAT over a year ago so I would be starting fresh.

Thanks again!
Mike
Moderator:
1452 posts