Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Considering Switching To MBA form M.S.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Considering Switching To MBA form M.S. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 12:19
Hello, I am considering switching from my current M.S. in Sport Management to an MBA at a reputable school. Here is my background of related information.

1. I am 22, graduated from SUNY Fredonia in New York with a B.S. in Sport Management with a minor in Business Administration. My undergraduate career was a roller coaster. I previously majored in Business earning A's in most upper-level classes like organizational behavior, managerial finance, economics. My elective course grades (geology, music) may not have been spectacular, maybe some B's and 1 C+ . My GPA while majoring in Business is around a 3.1. During my Junior year, I switched my major to Sport Management thinking that is the specialization I wanted to head towards for grad school. During my senior year, I accepted a year long internship as the Assistant Athletic Director/Supervisor of Athletics at a local high school with successful but small athletic teams. I worked with the coaches, principal, and other district AD's regularly and attended the WNY regional AD meeting. The internship was for roughly 20 hours a week, for a full academic year. I was also a paid certified substitute teacher at the school, subbing for classes roughly once a week. Due to my change of major I had to take 39 credit hours my senior year. This equated to 6 classes plus my internship the first semester, and 5 classes plus my internship the second. My GPA during these two semesters was 3.95 and 3.91 respectively. Essentially my senior year showed a significant increase in responsibility, as well as a significant increase in success.

2. Upon graduation I scored a 315 on the GRE (158 Quant 157 Verbal). A respectable score, however I hardly prepared (bad I know). I was accepted to all of the Universities I applied to, and enrolled an the M.S. in Sport Management program at the University Of Texas. I am finishing up my first semester and will most likely have a 4.0. I am hoping to use these classes as a testament to professional and graduate success. The classes are very group- business oriented and one involved doing actual work for an NBA D-league affiliate.

3. I can most likely obtain phenomenal recommendations for an MBA program. (The faculty here includes very respected sport figures, olympic committee members etc.)

4. GMAT of 690

5. Assume my related application essays are exceptional and I interview well.

My academic advisor recommended that I consider the MBA program at McCombs here at UT. I understand the program is like a tier 2 or 3 MBA program. Without significant work experience and because of the small size of my undergraduate school, do you think I have a realistic chance at being accepted to a reputable MBA program? If so, what level of schools should I consider.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Considering Switching To MBA form M.S. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 12:17
Expert's post
Well, firstly, McCombs is a very reputable b-school, so you couldn't go wrong there. In fact, with your foot in the door already, you should strongly consider applying there since the professors could help you get in. You didn't say why you wanted the MBA, but you'd need to be very clear on why you would quit the program you are in to go MBA in a way that will convince the adcoms you are not immature and indecisive, two solid reasons to send you out into the "real world" first for a few years. You will need to convince them you have enough work experience to bring something valuable to the classroom so those colleagues you will have next to you (with 5 plus years of business experience) will want you on their team because of your insights from your work. It might make sense to finish your Master's degree, work a couple of years and then go get your MBA. It would make it easier to get in, and it would actually only help you in the long run, since employers will want to see some good work experience in your background as well as the schools to which you apply. Employers, like B-schools, also expect you to have some substantial work experience.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews