Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Consultant in a rather obscure field

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.63
WE: Other (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation - Consultant in a rather obscure field [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 10:05
Demographic: 25, Male, Chinese-American

GMAT: Bombed the first attempt @ 650 (40Q 40V), my test scores have consistently hovered around 46-48Q, 42-45V and I do believe I can hit that on a re-take.

Undergraduate: Economics / Political Econ double major from UC Berkeley, 3.63 GPA, graduated with Honors.

Work Exp: I've worked as an economic consultant since graduating from Cal, mostly in intellectual property, which means I help provide economic testimony for corporate litigation. I've worked for both a Top 3 firm and now, at a more boutique one. I've been involved in high profile cases including those which have made headlines in the tech industry involving a certain company named after a fruit and a case which reached the U.S. Supreme Court. I've moved up from analyst to associate in the time I've been here and have been given more responsibility in case management as time progressed.

It's (in my mind), a very obscure field, and difficult to relate to as it goes on behind the scenes and in the courtrooms.

Otherwise: I'm very interested in social entrepreneurship and cause-based companies. I've interned at TOMS Shoes when it was only a couple dozen people, started the environmental consulting student group at Cal and currently am building a website dedicated to caused-based products and ideas. I'm looking for a school which excels in this budding field, but have not done enough research to lower my choices down from the top schools.

I'm just starting to put together my application and my recent GMAT guffaw has really put a downer in my efforts. I really appreciate the guidance you guys are providing here and would love some regarding my profile as well.

Thanks! :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Consultant in a rather obscure field [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the GMAT. Don't worry - it's pretty common to retake the GMAT and get a much better score. The same thing happened to me when I was applying to business school, and I managed to bounce back 100+ points on the second time around! You can definitely improve it.

I'll be honest -- I know the field you're talking about, and it is definitely more difficult to show leadership in that field as the work doesn't really lend itself to that the way consulting, banking, etc. does. From what I know, it's a lot of analysis and some case management at the higher levels but not much else. You want to demonstrate your teamwork, team leadership and firm management capabilities, but I believe that's harder to show in this particular field. If you think that's a fair assessment, then it'll be really important to demonstrate leadership capability outside of work. The fact that you are starting the cause-based product purchase site is great -- it shows that you're a self starter, have a strong work ethic, etc. However, it really depends how far along that project is as to whether it'll show a strong enough leadership profile (e.g., if you have built a team and you have already launched the site and you are seeing lots of traction and starting to fundraise and pitch to investors, that's really different than tinkering by yourself on a computer. Both are admirable, but one showcases a lot more leadership and lends itself to stories compared to the other).

You've got a strong GPA from an awesome school (Go Bears!), but I'm not sure that will be enough for a top school. What I'm seeing in your current profile is that it may be tough for you to show leadership and also to show multi-dimensionality (didn't see mention of extracurriculars, etc.). With your current GMAT score, it'll be really tough. If you do manage to pull that score up to the 700+ range, you'd have a shot at schools like UMichigan, Darden, UCLA, etc.

In terms of narrowing your target schools, I would suggest making a list of the things that are really important to you (strong CSR/environmental programs, strong entrepreneurship programs... what else? small class or big? case method or no? city or suburb? there's lots to consider!). Then go through and rate each school on your criteria. You're choosing them as much as they are choosing you :)

I hope that this is helpful. Best of luck!

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.63
WE: Other (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation - Consultant in a rather obscure field [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 18:18
Mili,

Thanks for that response!

Leadership opportunity is actually one of the reasons I chose to change firms to one which is smaller. I think I have much more client interaction and case management than most of my peers in the larger firms. I'm hoping the stories that come out of such a environment is able to show the leadership roles I have taken on. In terms of multi-dimensionality, are we talking about extracurriculars post-undergrad? I think I will definitely have issues meeting such a criteria if I apply soon as the consulting schedule devastates free time.

The cohorts before me have done well in their MBA quests of reaching top 10 schools so I'll see what advice they have to offer.

Much appreciated! (oh, and Go Bears!)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Consultant in a rather obscure field [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 04:58
Expert's post
Great to hear you may be able to differentiate yourself professionally. Yes - I was referring to post-grad extracurricular activities. Best of luck!

Mili