Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:00
Hi there,

I would appreciate a general profile overview based on my background:

Undergrad: HBSC, Financial Economics from University of Toronto 3.1 CGPA (3.8 in final 2 years and many 4.0s in high level quant courses)
Experience:
1 year as a Supply Chain Analyst at General Electric
1.5 years as an investment advisor for a Canadian boutique dealer
1 year as an Equity Research Associate at a recognized boutique Canadian investment bank (covering domestic and foreign upstream energy)
7 months as an Associate/Analyst (Equity Research) at the same investment bank (coverage same as above)
4 months as an Institutional Equity Salesman for the same investment bank
GMAT: 710 (48Q, 39V)
Extracurriculars: Lots of sport related activities, student ambassador at U of T, Tour Guide at U of T, represented U of T at several national fairs, Member of several clubs, Lots of public speaking, completed Wall Street Prep and oil and gas engineering course while working
Tutored a Wharton Executive-MBA student in Economics and Statistics (have a very positive reference from the student).

My top choices are:
1.) Wharton
2.) Columbia
3.) Booth
4.) Kellogg
5.) Insead (France)
6.) Stern

I know this is quite ambitious given that I am also applying in Round 3 (decided last minute in October to leave my seat on the sales and trading desk to do GMAT and b-school applications). So I would appreciate your honest feedback. Don't be shy to tell me i'm crazy if you think that's the case.

Consultants: If you feel like you can help me out w my aspirations, please reply and let me know what you think about my profile.

Thanks guys!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:12
MB4LIFE,
You may be reaching a bit high in that you've around quite a bit, your GPA (even given the solid GMAT score) is a bit under your target averages, you didn't address your leadership background in your overview or your 'diversity' assets (if any). Depending on these factors you could target some of the schools you listed as 'reach' schools. Feel free to email me your resume for a closer look: paulbodine@yahoo.com.

Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

MBA4LIFE wrote:
Hi there,

Undergrad: HBSC, Financial Economics from University of Toronto 3.1 CGPA (3.8 in final 2 years and many 4.0s in high level quant courses)
Experience:
1 year as an Equity Research Associate at a recognized boutique Canadian investment bank (covering domestic and foreign upstream energy)
7 months as an Associate/Analyst (Equity Research) at the same investment bank (coverage same as above)
Extracurriculars: Lots of sport related activities, student ambassador at U of T, Tour Guide at U of T, represented U of T at several national fairs, Member of several clubs, Lots of public speaking, completed Wall Street Prep and oil and gas engineering course while working
Tutored a Wharton Executive-MBA student in Economics and Statistics (have a very positive reference from the student).

My top choices are:
1.) Wharton
2.) Columbia
3.) Booth
4.) Kellogg
5.) Insead (France)
6.) Stern

I know this is quite ambitious given that I am also applying in Round 3 (decided last minute in October to leave my seat on the sales and trading desk to do GMAT and b-school applications). So I would appreciate your honest feedback. Don't be shy to tell me i'm crazy if you think that's the case.

Consultants: If you feel like you can help me out w my aspirations, please reply and let me know what you think about my profile.

Thanks guys!!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 19:44
Hi,

With the given profile, I would suggest you to target some realistic b-schools like: Haas, Tuck, Columbia, Duke, Darden, Ross, UCLA-Anderson and McCombs. You can also try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool . Subsequently, you need to skillfully frame your application essays and demonstrate the leadership qualities, achievements at work place and value you will create in b-school society.

Let me know in case of other concerns you might have. You can PM your number to discuss over your profile or selection of b-schools.

Cheers!!
Neha
Giving KUDOS is a decent way of saying thanks…

MBA4LIFE wrote:
Hi there,

Experience:

My top choices are:
1.) Wharton
2.) Columbia
3.) Booth
4.) Kellogg
5.) Insead (France)
6.) Stern

Thanks guys!!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 09:51
Expert's post
Dude,
Round 3, Wharton, a 3.1 and an erratic work experience... you may be jumping the gun a bit, and you may want to reconsider your school list a bit too.
So first of all: what's the rush???
I mean round three is TOUGH unless you got some Ace up your sleeve (your dad a CEO maybe? :) )

So maybe if you have a good reason, you rush the app, but it DOES hurt your chances.

Soooo, I would say wait.
The FIRST thing you gotta do for sure, is work on your story. I mean you have a LOT of job changes there in a very short time. And somehow you gotta build this all up into one story arc with one goal. So you gotta figure that out first.

So Conclusion: yep, you're nuts.

But we like crazy people. And believe in your ambitions. Doesn't mean one can't strategize cleverly though, yeah?

:)

Sooo, you knew it was coming: Take stock, start thinking about R1, and in the meanwhile do what yo can to improve your profile...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:35
lol just to play devil's advocate here, I have a friend with a 2.5 GPA apply in round 3 and get into Columbia and Insead, he was 31, gmat 730, 4-5 years of average work experience (not in capital markets), decent leadership with what I thought was a very average story... (he sold himself to go into ibanking, but at 31 w no previous experience and little knowledge of the field)......

I also know of another guy with sub 3 GPA get into wharton this year.... not too sure about his other specs

Myself along with a lot of common friends were shocked with both of these guys.... I am not trying to make myself feel better and I know it's definitely tough, but based on what I've seen from the people around me, it seems as if MBA admissions is getting easier than it was before... and it's understandable with so many professionals advising against it...... ive also read on here that applications are down about 15-20% at all the top schools....

one last thing, Insead clearly states on their website that round 3 does not get penalized compared to round 1 and 2... while other schools say the opposite, have you guys found this is the case with people applying to insead in round 3?
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 00:02
Hi,

Rightly said. B-schools look for diversity in the class and the value will you create in their b-school society. Most of the b-schools give hardly 5%-8% weightage to GPA. Suggest you to focus on your application essays & interviews which cover 60% to 65% on the entire b-school application process.

To know more about interview tips and preparations click http://bit.ly/XQVp4s

Cheers!!
Neha

MBA4LIFE wrote:
lol just to play devil's advocate here, I have a friend with a 2.5 GPA apply in round 3 and get into Columbia and Insead, he was 31, gmat 730, 4-5 years of average work experience (not in capital markets), decent leadership with what I thought was a very average story... (he sold himself to go into ibanking, but at 31 w no previous experience and little knowledge of the field)......

I also know of another guy with sub 3 GPA get into wharton this year.... not too sure about his other specs

Myself along with a lot of common friends were shocked with both of these guys.... I am not trying to make myself feel better and I know it's definitely tough, but based on what I've seen from the people around me, it seems as if MBA admissions is getting easier than it was before... and it's understandable with so many professionals advising against it...... ive also read on here that applications are down about 15-20% at all the top schools....

one last thing, Insead clearly states on their website that round 3 does not get penalized compared to round 1 and 2... while other schools say the opposite, have you guys found this is the case with people applying to insead in round 3?

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!!   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2013, 00:02