Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - CPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 20:40
GPA: 3.67 at a top 20 university (per USNews ranking). majored in Accounting and Economics
Work: 3 yrs at a CPA firm, 4 when I matriculate. 2 yrs in audit, and the remainder in tax. Does this switch look bad? Also, the CPA firm is NOT a big4. Its a top 10 (in terms of size) CPA firm, however. I have my license, and was promoted after 2 years from staff to senior.
GMAT: 770 (Q:50, V: 44, AWA: 5.5) Easily the strength of my application, but I have seen a LOT of hi GMATs get rejected from schools they applied to.
ECs - Ran Cross Country and Track all fours years in College. Business Fraternity (limited involvement). Currently am still involved with the team and am starting an annual fundraiser for the team. And I volunteer in local races about once a month (nothing leadership though). Started the marathon relay team at work for local city marathon.

Age when I apply: 25 (2010 application)
Age when I matriculate: 26 (2011 matriculation hopefully)
I am MALE. and I have half white, half Chinese. I do not refer to myself as Asian American though.
I am interested in FINANCE. Though my other interests are Real Estate (both my parents are involved in RE). And International Business (I've been all over the world and took 4 years of Chinese in HS and 2 years in College)

i would LIKE to get into one of the following schools: Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Berkeley, or UCLA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
I think you're definitely a solid candidate for top schools. With your age, experience, GMAT/GPA school. you can even try wharton, H/S as reach schools. I don't think it's a big deal to go from audit to tax and I wouldn't even concider it a negative. I'm guessing you also went to an Ivy, Darthmouth?

Either way I think your profile will be solid in strong GPA/Strong GMAT, Young with experience, and you have some content to write you essays about.

Andoverjon wrote:
GPA: 3.67 at a top 20 university (per USNews ranking). majored in Accounting and Economics
Work: 3 yrs at a CPA firm, 4 when I matriculate. 2 yrs in audit, and the remainder in tax. Does this switch look bad? Also, the CPA firm is NOT a big4. Its a top 10 (in terms of size) CPA firm, however. I have my license, and was promoted after 2 years from staff to senior.
GMAT: 770 (Q:50, V: 44, AWA: 5.5) Easily the strength of my application, but I have seen a LOT of hi GMATs get rejected from schools they applied to.
ECs - Ran Cross Country and Track all fours years in College. Business Fraternity (limited involvement). Currently am still involved with the team and am starting an annual fundraiser for the team. And I volunteer in local races about once a month (nothing leadership though). Started the marathon relay team at work for local city marathon.

Age when I apply: 25 (2010 application)
Age when I matriculate: 26 (2011 matriculation hopefully)
I am MALE. and I have half white, half Chinese. I do not refer to myself as Asian American though.
I am interested in FINANCE. Though my other interests are Real Estate (both my parents are involved in RE). And International Business (I've been all over the world and took 4 years of Chinese in HS and 2 years in College)

i would LIKE to get into one of the following schools: Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Berkeley, or UCLA.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 17:25
GoBruins. Thanks for the encouragement. I did NOT go to an Ivy. I went to Washingon University. St Louis.
I did go to Phillips Academy though (you might know if if you are in the Boston area).

H/S/W would be nice. I know my mom would love it if that happened. sounds weird to say since i'm 24, but since she is paying for my tuition, she has some pull in the decision.
Does anyone know if NOT paying for financial aid helps? I am guessing these schools have so much money it doesn't matter?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:24
Andoverjon wrote:
GoBruins. Thanks for the encouragement. I did NOT go to an Ivy. I went to Washingon University. St Louis.
I did go to Phillips Academy though (you might know if if you are in the Boston area).

H/S/W would be nice. I know my mom would love it if that happened. sounds weird to say since i'm 24, but since she is paying for my tuition, she has some pull in the decision.
Does anyone know if NOT paying for financial aid helps? I am guessing these schools have so much money it doesn't matter?

Unless you're company sponsored which may help, No being mommy sponsored does not help. it may even give off an impression that you're spoiled.

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:53
Hm. I see your point, but how do they know where the money is coming from. If it doesn't help though, then it doesn't really matter.
thanks for the advice though. One thing I do NOT want to come across is spoiled.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 21:50
Don't think it matters, some people have worked hard for a couple years, some people come with money. I don't think it matters. You could have a couple good years of stock. it's really not an important issue unless it's company sponsored which usually says that the company views highly of you and willing to pay 150K for you.

Re: Profile Evaluation - CPA   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2009, 21:50