Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Creative + Finance Background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Creative + Finance Background [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 13:45
Hi,

I have as a goal: Kellogg, Michigan, Chicago, but very open.

PROBLEM:
How to use next 2 years to improve chances?

- Mediocre GPA (can kill GMAT), will have CFA Level 1
- Average work experience (plenty of time before 2 years required for MBA)
- Possibility of world class extra-curricular at the moment (connections)

*** I am also evaluating admission consulting services to make sure every corner is tackled in my application, so any tips on how to build a profile to present will be greatly appreciated.

Age: Turned 24 (in Quebec we have 1 more year of school than US and rest of Canada)

GPA: 3.1/4.3 in Finance, Canada, semi-target ---- started in marketing (see extra-curricular) and didn’t believe in grades, hence, I was all over the place and underperformed. Got admitted to McGill conted to boost my grades but deffered to pursue CFA Level 1.

WE: Starting as Investment Analyst for Top Insurance Cie. (will do 6 months), then hopefully switch to something better. I also did PE for boutique shop(2 months internship).

Languages: Perfect French, English, and conversational Spanish

Extra-curricular from 16 up until graduation, which I've always found difficult to sell, I took 1 more year to finish school because of doing the following:

- I played poker professionally from age 18-20, and attending arts school (target). Meaning: I could pay the rent and all regular expenses playing about 15h a week.

- While doing that I interned in media Production Company such as David Guetta, Super Bowl ads etc… got a promotion which I rejected.

- I also founded a small web design company that had world renowned clients in the poker industry and fashion world, but did not have many clients since poker + school.

Thanks a lot guys!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation - Creative + Finance Background [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 07:51
Hi,

Thanks for writing here

There can't be sure shot formula for getting into top schools

You can still use below mentioned points

1) Develop leadership examples at work
2) Improve Extra curricular
3) Start working on the area that you wanna work after MBA e.g. if you wanna get into marketing role, you may enroll for some online marketing skill enhancement course etc

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Profile Evaluation - Creative + Finance Background   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 07:51