Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 21:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (Current DoD employee)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 06-20-2014
GPA: 3.04
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation (Current DoD employee) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 07:41
1) I am currently working in a business adviser/business development role for the Office of the Secretary of Defense (at the Pentagon), where I develop, negotiate, and administer government contracts and manage a portfolio of awarded business deals. I have 4.5 years of experience in this role, and have worked on approximately $200M worth of acquisitions. I have been promoted 4 times since starting my job, and am now a GS-13 (GS-15 is the highest).

2) My GMAT is 700

3) I went to a state school in Virginia, and graduated (2009) with a 3.04 GPA; majored in Finance. My GPA is on the lower side, and represents only my junior and senior grades from the university because I received an associates degree from a community college first.

4) While in college, I volunteered at my former high school as a Track/Cross Country coach... I coached several district, regional, and state champion individuals, and under my tenure, new school records for each distance running event were set. Since starting my job, I have been accepted onto a semi-professional running team for post-collegiate runners looking to still compete on a national level. Through this team, I have volunteered at several local community races.

5) My target schools are (in order): UVA, UNC, Duke, Georgetown, NYU

6) I plan to apply in the first round this coming fall (2014)

7) My post-MBA goal in to move into a consulting role, with a primary focus on the defense and aerospace industry.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (Current DoD employee) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 06:02
Expert's post
Part of the GPA situation will be your grades in quant courses – if these are OK to good, say B or higher – that will somewhat lessen the negative impact of the low GPA. Similarly, if your GMAT quant percentage was good, that too will help mitigate the GPA (and the 700 overall, while not stellar, is certainly solid).

As you surely know, your work is your standout element – both the nature of it and your excellent track record of promotion, impact, etc. And your goals build solidly on it. So in your essays, make the most of it!

Given the above, if your quant grades and GMAT percentage are good, I consider your list of schools sound – as it should, it contains a reasonable reach (NYU), and an on-par (Georgetown), with Duke and UVA right in between. Good luck!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog