Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation/Decision Making Time - Canadian

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation/Decision Making Time - Canadian [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 08:58
Background:
Caucasian Male, Canadian Citizen
Turning 27 in June.

Degree in electrical engineering from University of Alberta.
3.8-3.9/4.0 GPA (depends on calculation protocol), graduated #1 in class of ~150 (my class was the most difficult specialization in a total program of ~800, however GPAs were not directly compared)
About 20 different scholarships and scholastic achievements, inc. engineering gold medal.
Licensed professional engineer and certified project management professional (PMP)

GMAT:
Total 750, Q50, V41, AWA5.5

University work experience:
-Interned at research organization designing surgical tools. Part of a small team who tested designs live in the operating room. Supervised a couple of younger students (for a period of a few months).

Professional work experience:
- 2yrs highly technical industrial electronics design. No direct reports, some supervision of technical support staff.
- 2yrs international oil company, project management team for construction projects up to $300MM. Largest personal scope on a project: approx. $20MM. No direct reports but manages/coordinates large groups of external consultants and contractors. Official title is "Project Engineer," however the work scope would definitely be considered project management.

Extracurriculars:
-Technical project design team during undergrad. Produced a vehicle for an international competition. Leader of a small (3 person) technical subgroup.
-VP PR for my highly successful toastmasters club.
-Executive branch member for my provincial engineering regulatory agency. We execute the ~monthly branch events (luncheons, PD events), with an avg attendance of ~100.
-Couple of uninteresting volunteerism examples: minor fundraising, running 'science nights' for elementary students.

Could you please advise on my chances of:
1) Acceptance into Oxford/Cambridge with a third-round application for 2009 matric?
2) Acceptance into LBS/Wharton/MIT with a first-round application for 2010 matric?

Thanks,
Ryan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation/Decision Making Time - Canadian [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 10:15
You seem to have a strong technical/analytical background. That's something you can take for granted in the admissions process because it's obvious (i.e. it's not something you need to focus on -- much like a tall dude doesn't have to point out the fact that he's tall).

What isn't immediately obvious is your teamwork/interpersonal/communication skills. In other words, are you as good (or better) with people as you are with numbers? That is something you have to really emphasize in your applications.

If you can do that, you should be competitive for all the schools you mentioned. Wharton will obviously be the hardest one to get into of all your target schools, but you're within hitting distance that it's at least worth a shot (again, if you can show that you're as good with people as you are with numbers).

And if you can, you should probably wait until Round 1 to apply, rather than trying to squeeze in last minute applications for third round schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile evaluation/Decision Making Time - Canadian   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2009, 10:15