Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Marshall '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - design background, what're my chances? [#permalink]
Kudos
wcgmatclub wrote:
What type of qualities should I emphasize in my applications? Do I have enough leadership experience? (it's difficult for me to compare myself with most candidate profiles on the web as I've not read one with a similar background successfully got into top b-schools)

With your background, I would show how your different experiences have led you to your current role (so there's a coherent story of how you got from econ major to internet designer). Your background does make you distinct, which is a plus, but you'll have to work a bit harder than someone in consulting or banking to explain how the MBA will help you to achieve your goals. In terms of leadership, from your description it didn't look like you had positions where you directly supervised others, so you'll need to look for examples of informal leadership. For example, when you were the first to learn about the new internal classification system and then taught others in the department, was this your idea or something you were told to do? Think about other examples where you came up with a new idea, or where you convinced others to do something, or where people consistently come to you for advice on what to do. Most business schools understand that applicants may not have formal leadership roles or impressive titles, but they do expect that they've acted like a leader even in a small group.

wcgmatclub wrote:
Do I need to include all my transcripts, including those at the community college?

Probably, but it may vary by school. Usually the application instructions will specify which courses/transcripts must be included. If you're unsure, call/email the admissions office and ask.

In general I agree with ninkorn and GoBruins. Give it a shot at 2-3 schools in R3, and if you don't get in you can retake the GMAT and re-apply next fall. If you do apply in R3, I would definitely apply to Kellogg since it's your top choice and you wouldn't want to have to choose between entering in fall 09 and applying to your dream school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Marshall '11
Send PM
Thank you guys so much for evaluating my profile! I really appreciate all your advice.
I plan on retake the GMAT in late Feb/early Mar. Since Kellogg and Haas's application deadlines are the soonest, my plan is to work on their essays first and work on the essays for the other schools in March.

Which areas in my profile would you guys say is my weakness? I'm trying to see if I can get a consensus as to my weak area so I can address those in my essays :)

To NJMike:
For the new internal classification system, we had to have someone from our dept to get trained and I was the one who volunteered to do so.
Also, I actually directly supervised our overseas designer at my last job, and I'm sorta indirectly supervise our overseas programmers since I had to tell them what to fix and track their progress on projects. I just don't have the final say on things.

I'm just confused by the leadership requirement that b-schools have, are they looking for ppl who increased sales by 150% or improved productivity by xyz, etc.?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
wcgmatclub wrote:

Which areas in my profile would you guys say is my weakness? I'm trying to see if I can get a consensus as to my weak area so I can address those in my essays :)

Not everyone will agree with me here, but don't address your weakness in your essays, focus on your strengths. You profile is a bit unique and if you address how that can help the student body, I would address that. But to answer you question, I don't think you really have any weakness per se. You might want to highlight some strong quantative assignments you have done, but only briefly.

I believe in "don't tell them why they should not reject you, tell them why they should accept you."
GMAT Club Bot