Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Do I have enough work experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation: Do I have enough work experience? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 11:46
Hi! My name is Ryan. I am 25/M/White. Thank you for taking the time to review my prospects. I greatly appreciate it.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

I work for the leading global offshore energy geotechnical engineering firm. Primarily, we investigate and design for offshore structures for oil and natural gas, and alternative energy.

I will have only 2 years of work experience with the firm at matriculation. I have 1 year of internships from during college.

Led at least 5, roughly month long, offshore field investigation campaigns and geotechnical installations as the Site Manager. Typically, the Site Manager job requires leadership and decision making for mid sized teams (15 people) with operations of about $30,000 to $50,000 a day. Multiple crisis type scenarios occurred, not of personal fault, during the various field campaigns, where I handled them effectively.

In addition, I've developed somewhat extensive (for my field) programming skills that have greatly improved the engineering division's productivity at my office. However, the programming and report preparation skills that are required for engineers do not help much for applications, and I will mostly be leaving them out.

2) Your GMAT.

GMAT: 700/800 (47 Q, 38 V), AWA 5/6, and IR 8/8.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Master of Science in Geotechnical Engineering completed in 2011, GPA 3.75 out of 4.00.
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering completed in 2010, GPA 3.77 out of 4.00.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Selected Student Government Representative in 2009.
Elected Delta Tau Delta Server Chair.
Selected member of Delta Tau Delta Academic Committee.

Various community service in college. Habitat for humanity afterwards. Avid runner. No leadership in mentioned.

5) Your target programs.

I would like to go to one of the big energy schools. McCombs, Rice, and Carnegie Mellon. Are there any other big energy focused MBA programs? Otherwise, Harvard, MIT, and Darden are on my list.

6) Your post-MBA goal.

I am interested in working for one of the major oil companies (specifically Exxon, Chevron, or Shell) in GM. Since I have operations experience already, I believe it may help me into a similar role/rotation program within the companies. In addition, I would like to work my way into VC within the major oil company.

Questions:
Do I have enough work experience to be attempting the schools I want to go to? I can get another year, but the work experience will not be very different than what I have already done. Meaning that I will be running the same size operations next year as I am this year. There's no chance of promotion either until I take a professional exam in two years.

Are the schools I suggested appropriate for my energy focused post-MBA goal? Are there any I am missing?

Thank you so much,
Ryan
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation: Do I have enough work experience? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 20:02
Expert's post
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for submitting your profile. I think your professional experience is really unique and interesting. Very strong leadership experience. If you apply now, you'll have 3 years experience by the time you matriculate, so that should be enough. I think you can go for it. The programs you mentioned are strong in energy - obviously being in Texas makes a whole lot of sense given your goals! You could look at Duke, also - I believe they have an energy & environment MBA program that you might want to check out.

Best of luck!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter