Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 22:35
Hi,
Can you please look at my profile:

I am 27, male, from Romania (Eastern Europe).
GMAT: 690 (Q50, V33).

Education
BS in computer science, top university, 3.3 GPA
MSc in Project Management, top university 3.4 GPA

Work experience:
2 months Seasonal business, managed 2.
1.5 Software developer, general projects.
8 months - Start-up in quality management consulting, managed 4.
1.5 Software developer, treasury and capital markets (Misys). Currently holding this job

Extra:
- bridge player. Represented Romania at several European and World championships. Additional represented Romania at 1st World Mind Sport Games in Beijing.
- exchange program in Germany.
- different regional and national math, informatics and physics competitions.
- CFA level 1 candidate

Why an MBA:
Move into business filed. I love strategic management (always eager to discuss with anyone at anytime about this). In support of this I have the seasonal business and the start-up.
Other options are general management, asset management (to go with my CFA enrollment)

As far as I can tell my weak spots are: V33 and the lack of leadership in the extras. The latter can be explained, the option in my country regarding leadership activities where almost none.

My dream schools:
Kellogg
Stern
Columbia
UCLA
INSEAD

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. I have read this forum in and out about the B-school admission process and have made many statistics regarding success profile, but am unable to evaluate mine. Guess it's the subjectivity.

Thanks for all the help you give,
Cosmin
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 02:51
Personally, I think you should be competitive for all those schools. Your quant is really high. Your verbal is a bit low, but I assume English isn't your first language. Just don't apply to schools that's heavy on English communication like Darden.

One thing I would suggest is to look for schools that is strong in quant and value candidates with high quant scores, like MIT. I think Kellogg, Stern, and Columbia are also strong in quant, so those are good choices. Also, when you apply for schools, you should be a bit more specific on your post-MBA goals and why you chose the goal. It seems that there's a disconnect between your work experiences and your goal. Your work and extra curricula are quant heavy, what demonstrates your interest in strategic management?

You should consider some safety schools. US school's can not provide federal aid to international students, so unless you can get a scholarship and/or private loan. With the economy as it is, loans are hard to come by these days, especially if you are international student. You have a better chance of getting a scholarship at a lower ranked school. Of course, if you can hunker down $150K on your own, then there's no problem. In my opinion, the ultra-elite/elite schools helps when it comes to the more coveted positions like private equity (venture capital), investment banking (probably not anymore), and big 3 consulting. If you are focused on management, I'd say that trans-elite schools will give you almost as good of a education and job opportunity as the elite schools.
Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2009, 02:51