Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 281

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 04:41
Dear Precision Essay Team,

thanks for the time spent reviewing numerous enquiries.

I would really appreciate, if you can quickly evaluate my profile. My goal is to apply soon (2012/2013) for a full-time MBA program in top 20 US business schools.

Personal:
Nationality: Bulgarian

Education:
High School (~GPA: 3,98), just as info
Bachelor in Business Administration - (~GPA:3,2) - oldest and well-known Bulgarian University
Master in Financial management - (~GPA: 3,7)(valedictorian) - double degree program with the University of Bordeaux, France
Additionally, I completed the first 2 years of my Bachelor in Germany - also Business Administration, at a Top 3 German university, but returned to Bulgaria because of private reasons.

GMAT & TOEFL:
Starting my preparation...
GMAT: Targeting 730+
TOEFL: Targeting ~110

Work experience:
Financial Leasing company, subsidiary of the biggest European financial institution - 6 months (Internships)
Big4, Financial services Audit - 4 months (Internship)
Middle-sized project management company- preparation and financial analysis of renewable energy plants projects. The last year I took a position suggesting high-level of responsibility and lead the newly-formed division, representing a well-known Austrian ISO certification company in Bulgaria. Achieved rise in market-share end revenue through a successful market entry strategy - 2 years (Full-time).
In fact, all of the above listed jobs was during my study at the university. (Bachelor 4 years, and Master 1,5 years)
Currently preparing for the interview process with foreign offices of top-tier management consulting companies - Internship or Full-time job

Foreign experience:
Lived as a young boy in Düsseldorf, Germany for 1 year.
Studied in Munich, Germany for 2 years.
Longer business trips to Austria.
Longer concert trips.

Extracurricular activities:
* 10 years of membership in Rotary International - member of Interact- and then Rotaract clubs. Responsibility as Club-President and Club-Vicepresident of both clubs, where had to inspire over 30 club members. Took over responsibility also on District (multinational level), being Regional Club Representative (>250 club members)
* over 10 years dedicated to performing in a boys choir. Won several awards and had concerts in over 10 European countries.
* Member of several students clubs - as an example - the students club of the Institute of Market Economy.
* Foreign languages: English (Fluent), German (Fluent).
* participated in several photographic competitions as this is a major hobby

Target:
Top 20 Finance and Strategy oriented full-time MBA programs where I can be a competitive candidate - could imagine Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Stern and many other

Post MBA
Some years Management- and Financial- consulting in an English-speaking setting. After some years I would go back to me home country and start an own business.

Looikng forward for your honest opinion regarding strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for your time!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey bg power,
You have a really excellent profile there! with your GMAT score, valedictiorian, pan0european experience, and all the other stuff you should be a quite strong candidate. Good enough to apply anywhere (but still make sure you apply to enough anywheres, and build yourself a good application startegy - i.e. which schools you will apply for when) . It's true that your work exp. is a bit on the low side, and that you would be far better off if you could land that management consulting job before you applied (but you shouldn't WAIT for it... it's be nice though)

Looking good! And if you need anything else, we are here for ya.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 23:20
Dear Precision Essay Team,

thank you for the rather positive response. I have some further questions and would be grateful if you can give a quick note on them.

1. As we both agree that those 3 years work experience (1 of which from internships) is on the low side, do you think I should just wait for another year or two with the application (and if consulting doesn't seem to be a option now, remain with my current job). This way my MBA would have the argument for a career switch to consulting. I am giving my best to really gather a management consulting place, because it is my long-term career goal.

2. Taking my "story" as the foundation for the application process, if we assume that we start working together on my application docs with the Deluxe plan, which of the top20 business schools would be, in your opinion, achievable? (bearing in mind my focus - Finance and Strategy oriented full-time MBA programs)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well if NOW is the time for you to apply why would you wait another year? You have the grades, you are a valedictorian, you have the GMAT. It's time to jump into the water good sir.

As for what's achievable, a lot will depend on the time you can invest int he process. deadlines are close and moving up, and it IS time0consuming. And basically time translates into more applications which translates into better results. Last year we had a client who did 11 applications in a month (a VERY motivated client) and got accepts from Chicago and Wharton (with scholarships to boot!) And part of the reason she did so well was that she went all out, (and hopefully part of the reason was us too ;) )

For you I would say you have to make a good mix of dream schools, schools where you have good chances, and schools in between. I figure you could reasonably aim for 4 schools in R1 and another 4 in R2. So for your finance focus, the obvious choices are Harvard, Wharton, NYU, Johnson, Chicago Columbia. To that I would add two more schools that appeal to you (one of which should be a "Safety" school). And if you have time for more, the more the merrier.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:30
Again a BIG Thank you for your opinion :)

As I have to sit for the GMAT this year comes too early. And I would also like to try boosting my work experience in order to get closer to the top MBA schools. But next year may be the right time and I surely will contact you as soon as I am ready with my GMAT (hopefully I can get my target from the first attempt). Then I will surely invest enough time so to prepare every piece of paper according to the highest standards, of cours with your help!

Thank you very much! Keep rockin!

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation - Eastern Europe, top 20 BS [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:58
Expert's post
Super! Well then we'll be looking forward to hearing form you next year. One tip: Start early!
That way you can take your time with the process, (and have yourself a decent summer) May is a good time to start on the stuff that never changes (resume, LORs) and get that out of the way.
Keep in touch!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com