Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 04:44
Hi Jon!

I am aiming Columbia EMBA, Stern PT, and probably Cornell NYC EMBA. Here is few detail about myself:

- Demographic: Korean, 30 Year-old, Male, nationalized US Citizen (Came to US in 1999)

- WE: 6 in total as accountant, will be 7 when apply next year. 4 years at luxury menswear company, and 2 years (and current) at cosmetic company. Both US subsidiary of very well-known European company. Especially my current employer is FG500 and # 1 in the industry. My current title is Senior accountant (Promoted just after one year from joining the company. Guess it's one of the selling points I can bring at interview?) and recommendations will come from manager and AVP.

- GMAT: 670 - 49Q, 33V, 4.5 AWA, 6 IR. The first try was with just one week of study. Managed time really bad with IR and Q. I am going to take another one after investing more time, and hoping to push it upward of 700.

- Education: BBA in Accounting at UMass Amherst. 3.4 GPA. Minor in Japanese

- Passed CPA exam, but not technically CPA yet due to 150 credit requirements not fulfilled yet

- Participate in several project outside ordinary work; Intranet accounting website development committee, on-site CPE class discussion leader, volunteering

My career goal after MBA is staying in corporate finance/accounting. Probably I will move to general management, but it still will be strongly connected with finance function of the company. In addition, I want to expand my knowledge to international business management and luxury business as well.

Hope you can enlighten my way! :-D

Thanks in advance-
David
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 00:06
Expert's post
kdkpsj wrote:
Hi Jon!

I am aiming Columbia EMBA, Stern PT, and probably Cornell NYC EMBA. Here is few detail about myself:

- Demographic: Korean, 30 Year-old, Male, nationalized US Citizen (Came to US in 1999)

- WE: 6 in total as accountant, will be 7 when apply next year. 4 years at luxury menswear company, and 2 years (and current) at cosmetic company. Both US subsidiary of very well-known European company. Especially my current employer is FG500 and # 1 in the industry. My current title is Senior accountant (Promoted just after one year from joining the company. Guess it's one of the selling points I can bring at interview?) and recommendations will come from manager and AVP.

- GMAT: 670 - 49Q, 33V, 4.5 AWA, 6 IR. The first try was with just one week of study. Managed time really bad with IR and Q. I am going to take another one after investing more time, and hoping to push it upward of 700.

- Education: BBA in Accounting at UMass Amherst. 3.4 GPA. Minor in Japanese

- Passed CPA exam, but not technically CPA yet due to 150 credit requirements not fulfilled yet

- Participate in several project outside ordinary work; Intranet accounting website development committee, on-site CPE class discussion leader, volunteering

My career goal after MBA is staying in corporate finance/accounting. Probably I will move to general management, but it still will be strongly connected with finance function of the company. In addition, I want to expand my knowledge to international business management and luxury business as well.

Hope you can enlighten my way! :-D

Thanks in advance-
David

Hey David,
Thanks for writing man.
things look pretty good from here. You have a good long solid career, and very reasonable goals. These programs also seem to me like the type of programs that can help you realize them. The 670 is probably enough for these programs as long as your work achievements are good, but if you can get higher, it can only help. And since you got a 670 with only 1 week of studying, you can probably do better, so why not?

Other than that, if you can get any funding or support from your current employer it always helps, as in these programs a lot of folks tend to be sponsored by their firms, so if that's possible, go for that.

I hope I have enlightened your way! :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:45
Thanks Jon, you sure did have!

While my employer does have a tuition reimbursement for up to $ 10k per year (tiny compare to overall cost of programs :(), it's negative about supports more than than and there have been no exception. Better than nothing, but I am not sure if this would affect my chance of admission.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 08:38
Expert's post
Well 10k is 10k! :)

I mean you can buy a whole lot of socks with that. And even if it is little it still is some support, so use it as best you can.

Best of luck,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 04:09
Must agree. I can buy a lot of Skittles with $ 10k as well!

Another quick question. While my Ugrad GPA is not bad, I have few dings on two major-related courses: F on Business writing (Junior level), which was successfully retaken with B+ on following semester and D+ on Auditing (Senior/Grad level) on final semester. The issue was primarily my English level at that time for both. Even worse for Business writing was that there was a misunderstanding with the instructor who was supposed to withdraw the course for me, instead of giving me an F. Should I prepare an optional essay to elaborate in this regard? If I were to write it, I am going to reassure how much I have tried to overcome my limit since then and succeeded so far by providing recognizable achievements, like no communication issue at work (in fact, my manager sees my communication skill of understanding audience and providing proper feedback as one of my strongest strengths), passed Audit section of CPA exam, etc etc.

But on the other hand, I shouldn't even bring it up and cross my fingers AdCom wouldn't care about my Ugrad degree from 7 years ago. What should I do!!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 05:26
Expert's post
kdkpsj wrote:
Must agree. I can buy a lot of Skittles with $ 10k as well!

Another quick question. While my Ugrad GPA is not bad, I have few dings on two major-related courses: F on Business writing (Junior level), which was successfully retaken with B+ on following semester and D+ on Auditing (Senior/Grad level) on final semester. The issue was primarily my English level at that time for both. Even worse for Business writing was that there was a misunderstanding with the instructor who was supposed to withdraw the course for me, instead of giving me an F. Should I prepare an optional essay to elaborate in this regard? If I were to write it, I am going to reassure how much I have tried to overcome my limit since then and succeeded so far by providing recognizable achievements, like no communication issue at work (in fact, my manager sees my communication skill of understanding audience and providing proper feedback as one of my strongest strengths), passed Audit section of CPA exam, etc etc.

But on the other hand, I shouldn't even bring it up and cross my fingers AdCom wouldn't care about my Ugrad degree from 7 years ago. What should I do!!

Skip it man. You have a good GPA, why would you bring your attention to one bad course? They won't really care about ONE measly little course.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 05:33
Jon,

As Columbia EMBA ED is about two months away, I modified my career goal a little to fit better with Columbia specifically. Here is updated one, not that different from original though:

- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.

Then on a side note, I have an ultimate dream of life. Once I succeed in mega corporation, I am willing to go back to my family business (Japanese restaurant) and start working on its expansion. I want to make it a first professionally managed Japanese restaurant chain with locations nationwide like PF Chang's. My knowledge of overall management skill, especially brand management, from MBA and experience will be very important for my dream. This goad is a bit distant and even unreal to reach, so I am not sure if I should use this as my selling point. On the other hand, I think this is certainly unique one that mixes my root, family and career. Should I utilize this goal?

Thank you!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 13:53
Expert's post
kdkpsj wrote:
Jon,

As Columbia EMBA ED is about two months away, I modified my career goal a little to fit better with Columbia specifically. Here is updated one, not that different from original though:

- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.

Then on a side note, I have an ultimate dream of life. Once I succeed in mega corporation, I am willing to go back to my family business (Japanese restaurant) and start working on its expansion. I want to make it a first professionally managed Japanese restaurant chain with locations nationwide like PF Chang's. My knowledge of overall management skill, especially brand management, from MBA and experience will be very important for my dream. This goad is a bit distant and even unreal to reach, so I am not sure if I should use this as my selling point. On the other hand, I think this is certainly unique one that mixes my root, family and career. Should I utilize this goal?

Thank you!

Well the key to your answer I think lies in the words "Once I succeed in a mega corporation".. which makes me think that this restaurant is more of a "Retirement dream" then something you want to do right NOW ( I say this half jokingly). But what I mean is that succeeding in the corporate world will take you at least five ten years, so it's only natural that you will use that as a goal. So brand management in luxury it is.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 14:09
JonAdmissionado wrote:
kdkpsj wrote:
Jon,

Thank you!

Well the key to your answer I think lies in the words "Once I succeed in a mega corporation".. which makes me think that this restaurant is more of a "Retirement dream" then something you want to do right NOW ( I say this half jokingly). But what I mean is that succeeding in the corporate world will take you at least five ten years, so it's only natural that you will use that as a goal. So brand management in luxury it is.

That's exactly what I was worried if adcom thinks like that. It's too far away and, technically, I am not directly associated with it right now, even though my current career will help running business of my own later.

How about just briefly mention it in a sentence or two in essay? Or will it be better just completely leave it off?
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile evaluation (EMBA/PT MBA) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 12:43
Expert's post
I'd say just leave it off. I mean once you mention it, they you HAVE TO explain it. And once you get into explanations... well then you lost space to write what's more important. So by al means keep this dream int he back of your head for now, but for the career goals in terms of the application, I'd suggest jut sticking with the plan.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com