Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, energy industry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation, energy industry [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 08:24
My approach to my ECs is quality not quantity, will this hurt me? I really think its stupid when people do things JUST to put them on their resume. I plan to apply to the top tier schools and intend to start my MBA in the Fall of 2013. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Do I have a good shot at a top tier? I plan on building my resume and EC in the next couple of years.

Education:
Masters: Some credits completed for Engineering Management, 1 dropped class, 3.67 GPA. Leaning towards not finishing the degree because I don't want to take the engineering route in my career and also due to financial reasons.

Bachelors: Computer Engineering, 2009 3.38 GPA at regionally known engineering school

GMAT: TBD, shooting for 700+

Extracurriculars:
President and founding member of IEEE Chapter during college, ~200 members of which ~20-50 showed up for events. During my tenure, I helped shape the Electrical and Computer Engineering curriculum for today's job market by networking with a certain company that will need a specialized and in demand skill set. They ended up sending one of their employees to teach a night class at my suggestion.

Youth group leader at an inner city church since 2008. Involved with church around ~23 hours a month total. I mentor and counsel around 23 teens academically and spiritually. I've had to try to convince teenagers that they don't have to join the military to pay for college.

I also do things like help clergy with immigration concerns and act as an intermediary for them with lawyers.

Medical missions trip next year in a far off land

Work Experience:
Current Industry: Energy

Post Bachelors: I worked in the financial industry doing IT project management for 9 months, and then switched into the energy industry where I now do engineering economics type of work.

Pre Bachelors: Participated in the co-op program at my school where I worked in 5 full time, 4-5 month engineering and IT jobs
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation, energy industry [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nrgmba wrote:
My approach to my ECs is quality not quantity, will this hurt me? I really think its stupid when people do things JUST to put them on their resume. I plan to apply to the top tier schools and intend to start my MBA in the Fall of 2013. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Do I have a good shot at a top tier? I plan on building my resume and EC in the next couple of years.

Education:
Masters: Some credits completed for Engineering Management, 1 dropped class, 3.67 GPA. Leaning towards not finishing the degree because I don't want to take the engineering route in my career and also due to financial reasons.

Bachelors: Computer Engineering, 2009 3.38 GPA at regionally known engineering school

GMAT: TBD, shooting for 700+

Extracurriculars:
President and founding member of IEEE Chapter during college, ~200 members of which ~20-50 showed up for events. During my tenure, I helped shape the Electrical and Computer Engineering curriculum for today's job market by networking with a certain company that will need a specialized and in demand skill set. They ended up sending one of their employees to teach a night class at my suggestion.

Youth group leader at an inner city church since 2008. Involved with church around ~23 hours a month total. I mentor and counsel around 23 teens academically and spiritually. I've had to try to convince teenagers that they don't have to join the military to pay for college.

I also do things like help clergy with immigration concerns and act as an intermediary for them with lawyers.

Medical missions trip next year in a far off land

Work Experience:
Current Industry: Energy

Post Bachelors: I worked in the financial industry doing IT project management for 9 months, and then switched into the energy industry where I now do engineering economics type of work.

Pre Bachelors: Participated in the co-op program at my school where I worked in 5 full time, 4-5 month engineering and IT jobs

Quality always trumps quantity, and frankly, the quantity of EC's above is not shabby at all. You shouldn't apologize for it.

If you continue to grow and progress and you earn a competitive GMAT (or better), you should have a competitive profile for the top tier. You may be interested in Best Practices for MBA Admissions.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation, energy industry [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 20:50
Thanks for the comment Linda! I will be working on my GMAT, keeping up my ECs, and learning as much as I can at work so I can make an impact.

Maybe I just feel self conscious around those people that have "fighter pilot, Naval Academy graduate, 3.9 GPA" on their resume...