Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 08:48
I am a Canadian (living in Canada) looking for some help to see what my chances are of getting into a top 10-15 school. Please let me know what you think.

Here is a summary of my stats and work experience.

- 27 years old currently (almost 29 at matriculation); white male
- Undergrad Engineering from top 3 Canadian program GPA: 3.12 (3.6 in final year) (I've been told GPA doesn't matter too much as an international; is that true?)
- I was a teaching assistant when in 4th year
- GMAT 740 (V42, Q48)
- 2.5 years at small energy efficiency engineering firm as energy engineer
- 2 years at one of largest energy efficiency engineering firm as energy engineer
- 1 year (as of June 2014; promotion already offered) with same company as Energy Project Account Executive (basically business development position)
- 65 months experience at matriculation
- Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario.
- volunteered with green energy NGO's from 2009-2011

I am looking to make a move into strategy consulting or internal strategy in the energy industry. Eventually I would like to work with energy companies on growth strategies (either through consulting or as part of the organization).

My target schools are:

- Berkeley Haas (for clean tech focus)
- Northwestern Kellogg
- Virginia Darden
- Duke Fuqua
- UCLA Anderson
- Dartmouth Tuck
- U Texas McCombs (not top 15 but good in energy)

I would plan to apply to all schools in R1 2014 intake. I might also try Duke ED if I decide I definitely want to go there (hard choice since I would probably put Haas and Kellogg ahead but might not have a great chance at either of those).

I would really appreciate any advice or opinion you can give me on my application choices and my likely hood of success.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 08:53
One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been accepted to a top Canadian school (with a small scholarship). I also applied to Booth (R2) and got an interview (but not acceptance) and applied to Sloan but did not get an interview. After doing more research I have decided neither of those schools is a great fit for me. The thing that will change this year is I have just received a promotion at work.

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You seem to be quite a good candidate. Have a great GMAT, are in a great industry (although I would hold off on final judgement till I hear more about what exactly you did at work, and your promotions, etc.). Whoever told you GPA doesn't matter for internationals is speaking total nonsense. It matters for all.

I think your school list is fantastic (meaning well-chosen) as well as reasonable. You may also want to look at Rice, which for energy people is one of the strongest schools out there (even if it's general ranking is not as high as some other places). You might also think of Tepper which is a very strong feeder school for industry, or Ross because of its regional proximity to the "Fracking boom" (and of course both are excellent schools).

Things look pretty good from here. If you would like a more detailed evaluation, I'd invite you to send over your info: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

All the best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:55
Thanks Jon. I really appreciate the time and it's encouraging to hear I am looking at the right programs.

I'm glad to hear I am not way off base. My interest lies more in the clean tech side of things but admittedly Oil and Gas companies are primed to do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to renewables anyway so I could alos be interested in that. In terms of work experience, the new position as energy account executive is a fair step up and rare for someone under 30 (at least in my industry). I see Haas as being about as hard to get into as MIT (which I was dinged by last year). Do you think the promotion and more strategic/business development role will help?

Thanks again!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Engineer 740 GMAT 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 22:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would agree with you that Haas might be a tough not to crack, but you are an excellent fit, and it would be silly not to try. And actually, I would even suggest you reapply to MIT (if you have the time, and after you apply to some of the other programs), you did get dinged, but still, you have a profile that could make it in. And your promotion would be a very good starting point for a reapplication.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!