Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 07:56
Hi Alex,
My GMAT appointment is in April, but I'm anxious to know your opinion about my profile. Bear with me, this is a little long.
Indian, Female, Age 25, applying for the 2013 intake
3.5 years of work ex, 2 years in TCS and presently an associate consultant at Siemens Healthcare. Will have 5 years of experience on matriculation.
2 promotions in 3 years.
Undergrad: Bachelors in Biomedical Engineering, 7.99/10 CGPA (first class), from a non IIT but well known university.I grew up in the Middle East and then moved to India for my undergrad. Was founder and co chair of a social venture in college that conducted outreach programs to disadvantaged children. This organization continues and is in its sixth year now.

I've been in the healthcare domain for almost 4 years. At TCS, I got to do mostly IT stuff, except for four months when I handled the entire financial and project management operations for an account.
I wanted to pursue a career in healthcare, so I took up my current job at Siemens. After my first year here, I was promoted and awarded Best Team Player of the year in my department. I should add that I am 1-2 years younger than my peers and I'm currently in the top 20 percent in my department of a 100+ people.

My official role is to test our product before it is shipped, but I handle a lot of responsibilities that are outside of my job description. I began mentoring new hires when I was 6 months into the job. I also give a couple of presentations from time to time. I've worked on our product from conception to shipping and I've led a large chunk of our project by myself. I've created a couple of processes that has helped reduce our turn around time from days to a matter of hours.
I haven't been on an international assignment, but I have a multicultural team that I work with on a daily basis. I also help out my colleagues with their presentations and communication skills, and occasionally, I've sat in for my manager and taken decisions on his behalf. Also, I analyze and interpret volumes of data, so I'm very comfortable with graphs and excel sheets :)
I did a brief stint with an NGO that helps integrate blind people into society, and with a non profit that provides free counseling and placement services to physically and mentally challenged people. I am now working with a couple of friends to set up a social venture that provides employment to the physically challenged. I am also involved in rolling out corporate social responsibility initiatives in my department. If successful, this will be the first time in 10 years that our department will have a CSR program in place.
Other activities: I'm the breadwinner in the family. My mother decided to go back to college, and I'm supporting her and the rest of my family. I also play the cello. I speak intermediate French and I'll work to make myself fluent in it once the GMAT is over.
I'm interested in healthcare product management, the roles that require a lot of marketing skills (what I want from the MBA) and technical skills (what I have). This is a natural progression for me. That said, I don't want to be pigeon holed or end up with few options and so I'm not looking at healthcare programs, but rather at your general MBA with healthcare electives.
Since I want an all round experience, Tuck is my first choice. Other colleges would be Ross, Goizueta and Fuqua. This is all assuming I get a GMAT of at least 740. But I'm concerned that these colleges are out of reach for me.
What do you think Alex? Could you also suggest any other colleges that I should look into? Sorry about the long post and thanks so much for your help!

Pru

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 09:59
What I strongly suggest at this point is to focus on the GMAT prep. For the top schools, you realistically need at least a 700, and ideally a 720+.

With a competitive score, it'll come down to how well you execute your application. It sounds like you have some interesting experiences to talk about, but again at this point your sole focus should be on the GMAT.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 21:45
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your reply. I just took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 710 (Q44, V42). While I am happy about it, my Quant is in the 66th percentile (44). As you can see, this is lop sided. I am not sure what to do at this stage and wanted your advice.

Option 1: Re take the GMAT. I am not sure if I can match that score. More importantly, all dates before June 02 are booked. This means that if I have to take it, I'll have to study for the Integrated Reasoning section as well. Also, I'm not sure if it is wise to use one or two more months for this, when I could work on other parts of my profile. I am applying in Round 1

Option 2: Take a couple of quant courses and get As. I had Math for four semesters in college, but didn't do well on those. However in the later years, I picked up Operations as an elective and scored an A in that.
I live in Bangalore, and we don't have the concept of continuing education here, so I'll probably have to study online.

Even though I don't plan to work in Finance, will this lop sided score raise a red flag for ad coms? Currently, my list of colleges includes Tuck, Ross, Goizueta and Fuqua. I'll be very grateful if you could assess my chances of admission for these places.

Thanks a lot,
Pru

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 20:01
I gave similar advice to another applicant on another thread.

In short, if you feel there's a reasonable chance you can't do much better, then don't retake it. If you feel confident enough that you can score higher (i.e. the 66% was just a bad day and you know you can do much better), then retake it.

And yes, the quant will be a concern. You can take supplemental courses, but it's not going to completely erase their concerns.

If you're not going to retake the GMAT (or you do retake it and the results aren't really much better), then you simply have to accept it for what it is, and do the best you can on the application and hope it's good enough to get you in. I know that may sound obvious but sometimes it's just focusing on what you can control, and *trying* not to worry too much about what you can't control.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:42
Thanks Alex. I really appreciate your candor. Of all the people I spoke to, you were the only one who didn't mince words. I've managed to get a GMAT appointment in May, so I'm preparing for another re take. :)

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 01:37
Hi Alex,

I wanted to let you know that I took the GMAT again and got a 720 (Q49, V40, AWA 6.0) . This removes the unbalanced split. With respect to what I've posted previously, would you mind telling me if I stand a chance at these colleges?

1. Tuck
2. Ross
3. Goizueta
4. Darden
5. Fuqua

Thanks a lot,
P

Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 09:29
Sure, go for it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 09:55
Thank you Alex. I hope you were being candid with me.

Re: Profile evaluation: Engineer working in healthcare   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 09:55