Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Advice on school selection please [#permalink]
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for your insight on my profile- Much appreciated!

Agree with your comment on my profile lacking some stardust and multi-dimensionality. Guess, I gotta play with the hand that I've dealt myself.

To provide you with a bit more context on my work experience:

1) Started as a graduate engineer in the organisation's development program wherein you are provided with both professional and personal development training on developing leadership potential, learning to effectively communication with clients, understanding project delivery etc.
2) My primary role is to design the electrical aspects within buildings- the nature of our work requires us to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, architects, and builders to deliver the project. Ensure no deviation from design during construction.
4) Taken on the role of deputy project manager on a large signature commercial development- focus on managing sub consultant, ensuring adherence to project scope, conflict resolution and monitoring the financial health of the project.
5) Due to project nature of my work, my direct management responsibility depends on project team structure (typically 1-2 people at most). I do have decision making authority that influences design evolution.

After some thought I might drop MIT for R1 and add McCombs but somehow would like to stick with Tuck and Duke due to my interactions with the alumni, the school culture- strongly appeal to me.

So updated R1: HBS, Tuck, Duke and McCombs. If I get into Tuck/ Duke/ HBS (yep, a man's gotta dream!) I won't apply in R2.

Else, I'll apply to R2: Kellogg, MIT/ LBS, Ross (?), and Emory.

Thoughts?

My post MBA goal being consulting, can toy recommend any other safety schools?

Thanks again.
Admissionado
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Advice on school selection please [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ZoSoKM wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for your insight on my profile- Much appreciated!

Agree with your comment on my profile lacking some stardust and multi-dimensionality. Guess, I gotta play with the hand that I've dealt myself.

To provide you with a bit more context on my work experience:

1) Started as a graduate engineer in the organisation's development program wherein you are provided with both professional and personal development training on developing leadership potential, learning to effectively communication with clients, understanding project delivery etc.
2) My primary role is to design the electrical aspects within buildings- the nature of our work requires us to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, architects, and builders to deliver the project. Ensure no deviation from design during construction.
4) Taken on the role of deputy project manager on a large signature commercial development- focus on managing sub consultant, ensuring adherence to project scope, conflict resolution and monitoring the financial health of the project.
5) Due to project nature of my work, my direct management responsibility depends on project team structure (typically 1-2 people at most). I do have decision making authority that influences design evolution.

After some thought I might drop MIT for R1 and add McCombs but somehow would like to stick with Tuck and Duke due to my interactions with the alumni, the school culture- strongly appeal to me.

So updated R1: HBS, Tuck, Duke and McCombs. If I get into Tuck/ Duke/ HBS (yep, a man's gotta dream!) I won't apply in R2.

Else, I'll apply to R2: Kellogg, MIT/ LBS, Ross (?), and Emory.

Thoughts?

My post MBA goal being consulting, can toy recommend any other safety schools?

Thanks again.

Well, you also have to try and mine yourself some stardust out of what is there. So none of this passive "I aint got no stardust" stuff (that could be the title of a cool new pop song. I'm gonna have to copyright that).

Other than that I like your new list. Two comments though: You are not likely to get results from R1 in time to make a decision about R2. You are likely gonna have to roll on through those applications, and then in the middle of the process you might start to get some answers. Second, if you were to drop a school from the list because of time pressure, I'd suggest the MIT/LBS since they aren't your preferred top schools, and are likely to be as hard to get into as Tuck/Duke if not harder.

Otherwise, looks pretty good!
Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Advice on school selection please [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, you also have to try and mine yourself some stardust out of what is there. So none of this passive "I aint got no stardust" stuff (that could be the title of a cool new pop song. I'm gonna have to copyright that).

Other than that I like your new list. Two comments though: You are not likely to get results from R1 in time to make a decision about R2. You are likely gonna have to roll on through those applications, and then in the middle of the process you might start to get some answers. Second, if you were to drop a school from the list because of time pressure, I'd suggest the MIT/LBS since they aren't your preferred top schools, and are likely to be as hard to get into as Tuck/Duke if not harder.

Otherwise, looks pretty good!
Best,
JF

Nice one! Yep, I will have to start preparing for Round 2 straight after R1 submissions but would not end up applying if I were to receive admission at any R1 schools.

Haha, that's true will dig deep and since you thought about it when evaluating my profile, it makes sense share the copyright :P (I think we got some potential here!).

Thanks heaps Jon.
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Advice on school selection please [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wahoo dude!
Good luck, and if there's any way we can help, drop a line,
Best,
JF