Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation. Engineering to MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation. Engineering to MBA [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 14:28
Hi Alex,

I am really interested in applying for MBA school but I only want to leave my job for a good school. I am interested to apply for 2012 admission. Could you evaluate my profile below:

Program: Full Time MBA
Area of interest in MBA: Finance, Consulting, Sustainability
GMAT: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7 BS Chemical Engineering, one of the top 2 UC school, awarded cum laude latin honor
Work experience: 3 years as an Engineer in an Environmental Consulting Firm (US)
Nationality: International - South East Asian (not from a traditional MBA-applicant country)
Extra-curriculars/community: Recreational sports, volunteered during high school & college (Red cross, went to adult retirement home), joined professional engineering associations and relatively active during college, help out at church events.
Misc.: Have lived in 3 different countries. Came to the US alone at 16 to enroll in college, graduated by 20.

Target Schools:
1) Stanford: Joint MBA/MS Environment & Resources
2) UPenn, Wharton: Joint MBA/MS Chemical Engineering (Planning to take GRE)
3) MIT, Sloan: MBA
4) HBS: MBA
5) UCLA, Anderson / UC Berkeley, Haas: MBA, alma mater

As you can see from my top 2 choices, I really want a more "technical" MBA. I am interested in sustainability. Post-MBA, my aspiration is to do consulting about corporate responsibility and focus on the "triple bottom line", combining my technical background with finance.

My questions are:
1) How do you think I would fare in those 5 schools? Would I be considered a non-traditional applicant?
2) I know I am in the younger side of the MBA crowd, but I do have the average work exp since I graduated 2 years early. Would this count for or against me?
3) Are there any other top "Green" MBA porograms you recommend for me to consider?
4) I work with some Stanford, MIT, UCLA and UCB graduates in my job. All of them are engineers/scientists though. Would I get an edge by getting recommendations from them for the respective schools?
5) Any advantage in my application if I apply to my alma mater?

Thank you so much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation. Engineering to MBA [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 08:40
1. You have strong numbers and a solid resume, but as an Asian engineer you're still traditional ('turquoise' is a variation of blue, not a different color altogether). As such, you have enough of a shot that they're all worth applying to, so long as you know they're going to be stretches. You need strong applications as well as a bit of luck.

2. Age in your case won't be an issue. Don't worry about it.

3. Not sure what you mean. The whole sustainability/green thing is too new at this point for any school to be better or worse than others, and as such every b-school is figuring it out as they go.

4. It's about their ability to comment on your caliber and potential as a future manager (i.e. your interpersonal/leadership skills), and not what school they went to. There's tons of people who could get rec letters from alums -- and adcoms don't care. Again, what matters is how well the recs know you and their ability to articulate your potential to be a great boss to work for someday.

5. Yes. At any b-school, a significant chunk of the class went to undergrad there as well. No matter what adcoms say publicly, it does help. I don't have data to back this up, but my guess is that alums who have multiple degrees from the same school are more likely to be larger donors to the university as a whole over time than alums who only had one degree from the school (i.e. the fact that they want to "come back" for another degree signals someone who is very loyal to the school and will likely donate more money longer term).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation. Engineering to MBA   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 08:40