Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2008, 18:47
Thanks for the great advice you have been giving. I have read many of the profile evaluations over the past few months....hopefully I can get some of your help now.

Basic Profile
Male, America, 26 years old
3.3/4.0 GPA in Mechanical Engineering from a decent Public University in Ohio
3.7? in final year of the program
GMAT-640 (Q-44, V-34, AWA-4.5)...plan to re-take next month with a goal of 680
3 years of experience in Automotive Design

My History
University:
While in university I did 2 internships (6 months total) within the manufacturing division of a major Japanese automobile manufacturer. The following summer I moved to Germany for a 6 week internship in a plastic manufacturing plant, this trip opened my eyes to international culture and business. In 2002 I secured another internship (7 months) at the above auto company but this time moved up into the Research and Development side of the business doing body design. As an undergrad engineering student I was engaged in many clubs and organizations such as: Society of Automotive Engineers (Project Leader), University Auto Racing Team, Two mentoring programs (Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc), Leadership Seminars, an Engineering Honor Society and was selected to be part of a new Student Advisory Panel.

After graduation:
3-months traveling around Europe and Turkey...then...
Returned to the auto company where I had done the internship and worked in this department for 33 months doing design work. Achievements include a few department firsts (can't discuss here), training a new employee into a highly sought after team member, managing 1-3 contract manpower for short periods of time, saving XX,XXX dollars with a new "blank" "blank" design, etc. During this time my extracurricular activities included 10+ hours per week working on an auto racing team, working with my alma mater as a member of the mechanical engineering advisory board, and playing/coaching Ice Hockey. I don't know if ad coms would care but I was a driver on the auto racing team which requires tremendous self control, emotional intelligence, etc...maybe this will help me stand out a bit.

Another part of my current situation is that I'm unemployed right now (by choice). I left my design job to travel around the world, study the Spanish language and experience new cultures. I spent the last 5 months in South America and once my applications are finished I will be headed to South East Asia for a few months. After the initial internship in Germany and post-university travel I have been very passionate about international culture. I'm not rich....I worked hard at my career for 3 years but I lived as if I was a student in order to save up for the travels and language courses.

Target Schools (all international)
1)INSEAD
2)IE
3)ESADE
4)Cambridge?
5)RSM
6)LBS?

While in one of these international MBA programs I plan to do an internship in consulting and an exchange program to either Asia or back to my home country of the ol USA.

Post MBA Plan:
The above mentioned combination of experiences has led to a strong desire to move into broader based business functions such as project management, corporate strategy development, and international business.
Possible short term goals involve (working on essays now: work in progress):
1) Product Planning (maybe auto industry).....leaning toward this option
2) Management consulting (for one of the big firms)
3) Strategy Development
4) Something relating to the travel industry

My long term goals (~10 years) include leading community development programs in third world countries. I would like to do this firstly on a part time basis and then with increasing frequency as I grow older and become more financially secure.

Questions
I think I'm a bit of a stretch for LBS or INSEAD but I also think I've got a really good shot at IE, RSM or ESADE. What do you think? I'm planning to apply to these programs (some are on rolling admission) by the first week of March. I will retake the GMAT mid February. Should I focus a lot of energy on studying for the GMAT or just worry about nailing the essays and working with my recommenders?

Also, what do you think about my extra-curricular activities? Interesting enough? Sufficient? What do you think about highlighting my racing activities (auto racing has been a passion of mine for awhile and a major part of my life over the last 3 years)?

Backup Plan
If I don't get into my school(s) of choice I will look for a job and apply to some US schools next year (too late this year) and make sure to do a study abroad program to help me break into new markets and develop an international network.

Any insight you can give me about my profile would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 21:01
Expert's post
Hughes9115,

Everything about your profile looks good and interesting, but you will need the 680 GMAT to get into LBS and INSEAD. I do think you should emphasize your extracurriculars including the race-driving. You're right, it is distinctive and will help. Your goals seem a little fuzzy to me, especially the long-term social development which doesn't seem to key off of anything in your profile. I'm also concerned about your unemployment. Even if voluntary, spending it traveling rather than bringing modern farming techniques to Bornean Indians, writing the great American novel, starting a company etc.--or any other high-impact activity--will not help you with the adcoms. With a 680 you should have decent odds at RSM, IE, ESADE, and perhaps Judge. Fortunately, whatever happens you're young enough to come back at everyone next fall and be even stronger. But I would resolve that unemployment situation and GMAT score first.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 21:38
Thanks for your perspective.

I understand that, as written, my long term goals are fuzzy. I'm confident that I can clarify in my essays. I think I need to define my career goals and community involvement goals explicitly (my mention of leading community development programs was something I would like to do on a volunteer basis, not my career).

As far as the unemployment goes, I can't fix that now (maybe I should have applied to my top choice schools before resigning last year) but what I can do is make a plan for a high-impact activity for my trip to Asia that's coming up. I had actually planned on doing some volunteer activities in South America but never came upon an organization that suited me....basically, I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks again.....I'm going to give the GMAT another shot, then send in the apps and see what happens.
Expert Post
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 20:15
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 12:45
Hello ,

I want to pursue a 1-year Full time MBA. The goal is to climb the corporate ladder. Iam interested in IMD, INSEAD and the 1 year program at Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile. Thanks for your help.

GMAT: 650 Q48, V32
Female, 35 Years old
Citizenship: India, Living in US since 2003
Educational Background: Bachelors in Electronics and Communication, India
Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering, US
(Recipient of full scholarship for the 2 year Master of Science program.)

Work Experience: 12 Years in Semiconductor and Automotive Industry.
Job Profiles: Software Engineer, Supplier and Sub-contract Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager.

Work Experience Details:
2000-2003
-- Worked as a software and design engineer in leading Semiconductor Company.
2003-2005
-- Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my Masters.
2005 -2011
-- After my graduation I started working with a leading Tier-1 Automotive supplier. In the six years with the company I progressed from a lead Engineer to Supplier and Sub-Contract Manager to Project Manager.
2011- Current
-- Working as a Program Manager for a leading American Car Manufacturer.

-- International experience:
- Two expat assignments to Germany and India.
- Travelled extensively on work to Europe and Asia.
- Worked very closely with internal teams and suppliers based out of China, Mexico, India, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Korea and Japan.

-- Extra Curricular:
- Mentor at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Volunteer at Akshara, a Literacy mission.
- Volunteer at the Indy 500 Marathon.
- Tutoring underprivileged kids.
- Volunteer at Gleaners Food bank and Soup kitchen.
Expert Post
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - European MBA - Please Help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 12:08
Expert's post
Yogagirl2012 wrote:
Hello ,

I want to pursue a 1-year Full time MBA. The goal is to climb the corporate ladder. Iam interested in IMD, INSEAD and the 1 year program at Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile. Thanks for your help.

GMAT: 650 Q48, V32
Female, 35 Years old
Citizenship: India, Living in US since 2003
Educational Background: Bachelors in Electronics and Communication, India
Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering, US
(Recipient of full scholarship for the 2 year Master of Science program.)

Work Experience: 12 Years in Semiconductor and Automotive Industry.
Job Profiles: Software Engineer, Supplier and Sub-contract Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager.

Work Experience Details:
2000-2003
-- Worked as a software and design engineer in leading Semiconductor Company.
2003-2005
-- Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my Masters.
2005 -2011
-- After my graduation I started working with a leading Tier-1 Automotive supplier. In the six years with the company I progressed from a lead Engineer to Supplier and Sub-Contract Manager to Project Manager.
2011- Current
-- Working as a Program Manager for a leading American Car Manufacturer.

-- International experience:
- Two expat assignments to Germany and India.
- Travelled extensively on work to Europe and Asia.
- Worked very closely with internal teams and suppliers based out of China, Mexico, India, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Korea and Japan.

-- Extra Curricular:
- Mentor at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Volunteer at Akshara, a Literacy mission.
- Volunteer at the Indy 500 Marathon.
- Tutoring underprivileged kids.
- Volunteer at Gleaners Food bank and Soup kitchen.

You have been rising steadily in your organization, which is good, but you are now going to be considered too experienced for the traditional MBA programs - they just don't like putting experienced 35 year olds into a classroom with 27 year olds: the older students tend to know much of what the instructors are sharing and the ages don't tend to mix well socially.
I recommend pursuing an EMBA or a full-time immersion program like MIT's Sloan Fellows, LBS's Sloan Masters, or Stanford's Sloan Master's. These are full-time programs for experienced managers like yourself. The level of learning is exceptional in these and the environment is extremely diverse in terms of background and experience.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog