Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - european - top15/20 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Kunkun wrote:
I am looking for an honest review of my profile (I do not know many people with MBA, so it is not easy to have some feedback on my profile).

Background

Work experience:
4 years as a deputy project manager - construction of a railroad (in Africa - based in a life camp)
+ 4 years as a bid manager (proposals from 20M€ to 200M€) Industry : railway (a world leader)

Company : 30 000 employees

Extra curriculars: finance.
- portfolio management since 2009, value-oriented approach, 15% per year,
- served on shareholder advisory committees of two big companies
- President and founder of an investment club

Undergrad school/major: Msc in Civil Engineering from a top school of my country (top20).

Other education/coursework: NA

Race/nationality: White/French

Sex: Male

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): I expect to get at least 700.

Undergrad GPA: 3.5 maybe (we do not have GPA) - ranked among top 15% for final year

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: I want to show that I have finance skills, and to be seen as a business person. I want to get roles more related to finance. My aim is to get into an infrastructure fund (or to work on public-private partnership projects for a contractors and so on).

Target schools: Harvard (out of reach ? too old ?) Wharton, Columbia, LBS, Stern, HEC

My self assessment :
a little bit old in comparison to other candidate. Maybe they will not like older candidate who want to switch career (not realistic ?). It is difficult for an European candidate (or even international candidate) to know about school culture (I think it is quite different from what I know in my country). I think it is misunderstood/undervaluated by international applicants.

I do not want to go for an emba (it is more for a vertical move) or for a master in finance (for younger people - pre-experienced).

I do not know if I am competitive for my target schools (and how I can improve/present my profile). Any comments or advise ? :) Thanks a lot.

I agree that HBS and Wharton are not likely. HBS especially given your age and work experience. That said, LBS and HEC are much more comfortable with applicants with your level of experience so if you do well enough on the GMAT those could go well. I recently helped a non-traditional applicant get into LBS who is 31 years old and didn't have an amazing GMAT nor GPA. The story was pretty interesting though, so that is an area where I see you doing well if you put the time into it. Your experiences are certainly unique and if you want to discuss some angles for your application, send me a note. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation - european - top15/20 [#permalink]