Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation..everyone thinks differently!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

profile evaluation..everyone thinks differently!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:18
Hello,
I gave my gmat a week ago and scored a 770(q51,v44).I was very happy with my score but have been mostly discouraged since then.
Here is my profile :
I am a computer science engineer ( 67% aggregate) and have NO WORK EXPERIENCE. I did graduation from a decent college.
I have done internship ( 2months) and prepared an automail system for the company.
I have a A grade BEC-VANTAGE certificate ( the test for business english by cambridge university )
I also published a website,but did not do much to promote it,so had to shut it down.
Hobbies :
I love to write stories and poems.I publish them on websites.
Also,I like to write movie/ series scripts and intend to start a series on my own youtube channel.The process is still in scripting stage.
Now what the counsellors i approached told me :
counsellor 1 : You have a great score,apply asap for some universities ask for a fresh score.If you wait for 2 years to get work experience,they might not consider this score anymore.
Counsellor 2 : We will help build your profile.It's very weak right now,so you'll have to get work experience and enroll with us so that we can help you out.
counsellor 3:You are from a typical IT background.Even if you get work experience that will not help you much,though it is still an advantage.You should rather try for the universities other than the top 20 right now.
I,on the other hand,want to try for the top 20 universities.
I could have made a decision by asking the three counsellors to enter a wrestling ring ,but i dont think they would agree on that.So here i am,back to gmatclub :D
Now the questions :
1. I am willing to try for top 20 right now,or a year later perhaps.Any chances of squeezing through right now ?? :D
2. Do universities actually ask for a fresh score ?
Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

Re: profile evaluation..everyone thinks differently!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

So, if I understand correctly, you've just completed your undergrad degree in computer science. Your scores are average, but your GMAT is off the charts (congratulations!!). You have no full-time work experience since you've just graduated and you've not got much in the way of strong leadership stories. This is a tough one!

There are some programs that will consider candidates that are currently in undergrad, but it sounds like you've completed your studies. In any case, even these students have to demonstrate exceptional leadership capability through robust internships, active leadership roles on campus and off, etc. I don't see a lot for you to stand on in this area, so my advice would be, if you want to go for a top 20 school, go work for 2-3 years first. During this time, focus on building a career that ideally is on the business side (vs. becoming an engineer), try to work at a big MNC (HSBC, Deloitte, etc.), and also focus on building up a strong leadership profile outside of the workplace. Since you love movies/script-writing, maybe you could try to produce an independent film (maybe that's a bit ambitious!). Or you could build a non profit production company that hosts free plays for underprivileged communities in India. Be creative and really think build up your profile in these ways (these are just ideas - do what you're passionate about). You'll want to show:

Very strong professional leadership capability (teamwork, firm stewardship, taking initiative, consistent promotions, etc.)
Very strong leadership in the community (start a non profit, take a board position on a non profit you're passionate about, regularly volunteer at a nonprofit and work your way to a leadership role there)
Very strong extracurricular activities/engagement - want to demonstrate leadership here, too (produce a blockbuster film (hehe) :), captain a football team, etc.)
Very strong academic achievement - you've already done that!

Your GMAT score will be valid for 5 years from the date you took the test, so no worries on that front. But waiting one year won't give you enough depth of experience to be competitive at a top tier school. You'll need to take the time to develop your profile in all these different ways, and then you're application will be very strong.

Of course, you can always try to through in an application now (it's not going to hurt you if you get rejected now -- you can simply reapply when you're ready), but I don't think your chances would be very strong at a top tier school, even despite your GMAT.

Good luck!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: profile evaluation..everyone thinks differently!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 09:08
sorry i sent a p.m , i could not locate the post reply button :D
Thank you for such a good analysis. I am ready to begin a show on youtube channel.I just have two questions to ask:
1. counsellors have told me that universities ask for a fresh score,so i would be wasting my score if i wait for 2 years.Is that true?
2. One counsellor also told me that my rejection in a university would weaken my chances in that university the next year.Is that true ?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation..everyone thinks differently!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 09:11
Expert's post
That's ok! Posts are better though :) Here are my responses:

1. I have not heard of admissions committees asking for a more recent score so long as your GMAT score is still valid (within the 5 years of submitting your application).

2. It is not true that getting rejected weakens your chances the next time around, so long as you've actually taken steps to improve your profile in the interim. It would look bad if you submitted the same exact application two years in a row! Need to show substantive growth/improvements.

Hope that helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter