Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 09:37
Dear Admissionado,

I have been a long-time reader of gmatclub but only now have reached right stage to apply for MBA. Resources here have helped me a lot. I request you for evaluating my profile.

I am an Indian IT male looking for application review service.

10th: 87%
12: 86%

Engineering from NIT Warangal in 2006, passed with 72% marks.

In college, had many extra-curricular activities. Chief organizer of college fest, and head HR and Technical for college fest for 2 years. Also led hostel mess committee for ensuring proper food hygience etc. to students. Worked on good technical projects, including electronic data gatherer which also won some awards in national technical competitions like VJTI etc.

Social work: Worked for two years for NGO providing helping poor children with schooling. Also volunteered time to teach maths occasionally. Have certificates and can show.

Sports: Played cricket for college team and have participated for office events also for last three years.

Professional: Working for last six years, will be seven in July 2013, in Infosys in the investment banking domain. Worked extensively on banking and capital markets applications for last four years, and before that worked on coding for core financial accounting applications. Have worked onsite for 1 year in Cincinnati, USA. Got many awards, including team awards for my performance over last six years. Chosen to lead development for core applications of large wall street client.

GMAT: 690, AWA 5, IR 6

I want to apply for colleges starting in fall 2013. Can anyone please evaluate my profile?

Thanking you,
Suresh
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
Dear Suresh,
The basics of your profile are good - you have a good GMAT, a solid career, some good community service and some good extra curriculars. I think that if you can come up with passionate essays and find your unique voice when you write your applications, your "Sweet spot" will be in schools ranked from 15-40 about. So I would start looking at those schools and make myself a short list based upon location/opportunities/career options/fit and goals. Once you have that down, then you can do further research (I can help if you need) into the schools to whittle down your list to about 6-7 schools to apply to, which would give you a good chance of getting at least an accept or two.

Best of luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:56
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your evaluation. 15-40 is wide range, where do you think I can really target? So for example is getting into top 20 college possible or only 30+ ranked colleges are practically possible? I want to go to a good college that is recognized also.

I have noted other things you have adviced.

Thanking you,
Suresh
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 02:52
Expert's post
Hey there,
Actually 15-40 is not that wide a range. The first 15-20 schools are generally considered Tier one, and I think that most of them will be quite a challenge for what I see here. Schools ranked about 20-50 are considered Tier 2.And so you don't think these are not amazing programs, they are! They may not be HBS but people still graduate them and go into fancy consulting and finance jobs where they make 100k+ per year. (Again this isn't rocket science, only an approximation), and actually once you get into Tier two the difference between ranked 31 and 35 is minimal. And anyhow this is only your first "cut" in the school list. To thin the list further down, you need to do research yourself about which schools fits you best in terms of fit, and location, and methodology, and class-size and recruiters, and employment statistics.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!