Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 10:00
I have been a long-time reader of gmatclub but only now have reached right stage to apply for MBA. Resources here have helped me a lot. I request you for evaluating my profile.

I am an Indian IT male looking for application review service.

10th: 87%
12: 86%

Engineering from NIT Warangal in 2006, passed with 72% marks.

In college, had many extra-curricular activities. Chief organizer of college fest, and head HR and Technical for college fest for 2 years. Also led hostel mess committee for ensuring proper food hygience etc. to students. Worked on good technical projects, including electronic data gatherer which also won some awards in national technical competitions like VJTI etc.

Social work: Worked for two years for NGO providing helping poor children with schooling. Also volunteered time to teach maths occasionally. Have certificates and can show.

Sports: Played cricket for college team and have participated for office events also for last three years.

Professional: Working for last six years, will be seven in July 2013, in Infosys in the investment banking domain. Worked extensively on banking and capital markets applications for last four years, and before that worked on coding for core financial accounting applications. Have worked onsite for 1 year in Cincinnati, USA. Got many awards, including team awards for my performance over last six years. Chosen to lead development for core applications of large wall street client.

GMAT: 690, AWA 5, IR 6

I want to apply for colleges starting in fall 2013. Can anyone please evaluate my profile?

Thanking you,
Suresh
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 04:37
Hi Suresh,

The strong areas in your profile are good academic background and corporate exposure; try to make it stronger by focusing more on application essays and recommendations. Visit http://bit.ly/14g2y0S to select and shortlist b-schools.

You should start applying soon as you seem to be in perfect stage of your career and around 5 - 7 years of work experience is what most of the above B Schools look for.

However you should also plan and need to cleverly prepare for questions like your objective behind applying for a specific B school, why you want to pursue MBA?

The next step for you to do some research on the above schools and get started with the applications.

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 04:53
You have the potential to submit a compelling application and your strength lies in your academic and professional performances (however your GMAT scores can be a bit higher (prefer over 720 for Indian applicants). However, you are in an extremely competitive demographic and every aspect of your candidacy has to be as compelling as it can possibly be. The good news is that by preparing so far in advance, that you will be able to address any deficiencies. Also, being in such a competitive demographic, every aspect of your candidacy has to be top notch -- and this includes your essays, recommendation, interviews, resume, etc. There are really no shortcuts in this process and you have to invest the time, energy and resources to make sure that this is the case.

I recommend that you contact our office and arrange for a candidacy assessment. I am confident that you will find this a very insightful experience and a great use of time.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:26
Thank you Kimberley and also Neha for your answer.

The problems I am facing are two - one is whether I should do full time MBA or part time so I don't have to leave my job.

Second is that I am from IT sector, so it is very difficult for me to show things like leadership and team management because in IT sector those things are not there, except at higher levels. That is the nature of the industry. Certainly I have worked on big projects and can show but it is not like say manufacturing where in 6-7 years surely you will be leading a team of at least 10. What I am worried about is that will being from IT sector mean that because I cannot show these things then my application will be weak and I cannot get into good colleges?

I know I am asking many questions but I have to decide if I can do MBA from good college, otherwise it is better for me to remain in technical line. I don't want to do unknown MBA that will not be recognized. If you feel that it is a requirement, I can think of giving GMAT again also (I think I can get 720+ like you are saying), but I don't want to go to uknown colleges. So is it better for me to spend time giving GMAT again or should I start applying now only (but only if I can get to good colleges, otherwise no point)?

Thanking you,
Suresh
Re: Profile evaluation - Experienced Indian from Infosys   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 09:26