Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation - F/24/asian american

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
profile evaluation - F/24/asian american [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 08:46
Paul,

Would greatly appreciate it if you can evaluate my profile:

Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Asian American - Japanese
Undergraduate: Major - Mechanical Engineering; Minor - Applied Mathematics - University of California, San Diego, GPA: 3.56/4.0
Tau Beta Pi - Engineering Honor Society
ASME - publicity, 2 yrs.
GMAT: 620 (Q45, V31), AWA 6.0

Work History: Mechanical Engineer (2 yrs, 1 yr intern) @ major defense contractor. Due to funding issues there were several cutbacks/layoffs. Was not directly impacted but left due to instability and not so bright future prospects. Currently, at a smaller firm - consulting/systems engineering. Although, I do not hold a leadership title, my superiors/bosses at my previous job can vouch for me that I have potential. I have received stellar reviews and have been told several times that I have impressed them on several different levels.

Community Service - Not soo much now, did some tutoring/mentoring during undergrad. Worked in the math departement, grading papers, assisting professors/TAs. Did community service through the clubs @ UCSD - outreach programs/clean up services, etc. I am looking into doing more volunteer work but I am sure it is pretty transparent that it is for applications :P

Goals: As with most people here, a change in my career. Dont get me wrong, engineering is fun, but not my cup of tea - it is not something I see as long term. Would like to transition into the likes of strategy/operation/corporate finance.

Target Schools: Georgetown, Duke, UCLA, Yale (need to do a bit more research...or if you have any suggestions)

Very much aware that my GMAT is not very competitive for these schools and therefore, am thinking of retaking it. If, however, I do not get a higher score or end up not retaking it, is my current score too low for me to even try for my target schools? Initially, I had wanted to apply this year but due to my score, I am starting to think I may or should wait until next year. What do you think?

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advnace.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation - F/24/asian american [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 17:17
Expert's post
gmat blows wrote:
Paul,

Would greatly appreciate it if you can evaluate my profile:

Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Asian American - Japanese
Undergraduate: Major - Mechanical Engineering; Minor - Applied Mathematics - University of California, San Diego, GPA: 3.56/4.0
Tau Beta Pi - Engineering Honor Society
ASME - publicity, 2 yrs.
GMAT: 620 (Q45, V31), AWA 6.0

Work History: Mechanical Engineer (2 yrs, 1 yr intern) @ major defense contractor. Due to funding issues there were several cutbacks/layoffs. Was not directly impacted but left due to instability and not so bright future prospects. Currently, at a smaller firm - consulting/systems engineering. Although, I do not hold a leadership title, my superiors/bosses at my previous job can vouch for me that I have potential. I have received stellar reviews and have been told several times that I have impressed them on several different levels.

Community Service - Not soo much now, did some tutoring/mentoring during undergrad. Worked in the math departement, grading papers, assisting professors/TAs. Did community service through the clubs @ UCSD - outreach programs/clean up services, etc. I am looking into doing more volunteer work but I am sure it is pretty transparent that it is for applications :P

Goals: As with most people here, a change in my career. Dont get me wrong, engineering is fun, but not my cup of tea - it is not something I see as long term. Would like to transition into the likes of strategy/operation/corporate finance.

Target Schools: Georgetown, Duke, UCLA, Yale (need to do a bit more research...or if you have any suggestions)

Very much aware that my GMAT is not very competitive for these schools and therefore, am thinking of retaking it. If, however, I do not get a higher score or end up not retaking it, is my current score too low for me to even try for my target schools? Initially, I had wanted to apply this year but due to my score, I am starting to think I may or should wait until next year. What do you think?

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advnace.

gmat blows,

Sorry for the delayed reply; I was on the road. Your GMAT score will effectively put you out of the running at Duke, UCLA, and Yale, where it falls outside of their middle 80%. Even at Georgetown it's at the lower edge of their middle 80%. Given your young age, I would encourage you to wait at least a year, which will give you time to raise your GMAT and flesh out your work and community leadership a bit more.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 07:16
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am currently planning on re-take the GMAT and looking for ways to improve my extracurricular/leadership to become a better candidate.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 18:47
Expert's post
gmat blows wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am currently planning on re-take the GMAT and looking for ways to improve my extracurricular/leadership to become a better candidate.

You're welcome. Best of luck to you.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog