Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (Family Business)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 09:10
Hi,

I am from family business and have a wide range of responsibilities which honestly, I am finding difficult to compress in the essays. Details of the profile-

Citizen : India
Graduated in: Electronics and Telecom 2007
GPA : 7.0/10 (Cannot be converted to 4 point scale)
GMAT : 680 (Q-44, V-38)
Work ex- 3 yrs at the time of joining

Work Experience: Joined my family business in 2007. Have exposure to fields of steel fabrication, import export and real estate and all are registered firms in the respective countries.

International Exposure- Instrumental in establishing a private company in Qatar. Researched Oman and UAE as prospective locations for the company but decided on Qatar for variety of reasons.

Short Term Career Interest: Joining a Private equity/ Venture capital firm to understand both sides of the capital raising- (VC point of view) How to invest in start up/ small companies and how to evaluate them and (entrepreneur point of view) What needs to be done for raising finance and how to present the projects.

Long Term Career Interest:Return to family business, expand the export company and raise structured financing for the real estate company.

What I want from a B School MBA:

Academic : More hands on experience will be preferred along with good international exposure.

Social : Want to experience a great student life. Looking for a school with cooperative and team oriented environment where a young entrepreneur will be accepted. Would ideally like to interact with a lot of intl. students.

Repute: More than ranking, good professors and good alumni network which can be tapped later on.

Network : A well knit alumni network is essential as it will help my existing business a great deal.

Leadership: Wide range of responsibilities- developing company brand, interacting with foreign delegates, market research etc. In general more than day to day operations I implement the changes that my father has wanted to make for years. Good results achieved. Am being groomed as a future leader.

Recommendations: A problem area. I do not have an immediate supervisor. I work with 2 other directors (dad and another partner). Whose recommendations can I get?

Extra-curricular: Since highschool I work for the non profit trust that my family runs. Active in the fields of free health care, education, yoga and cultural outreach.(It has a history of 300 years and almost entire immediate family is involved)

I am also learning French as a fourth language.

Ambitious- UCLA, Anderson
Target colleges: USC, Marshall; Kelley, Indiana; Emory, Goizueta
Safety- UCI, Irvine and Boston University

Suggestions for schools and feedback on the profile will be welcome. Thanx in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 21:42
Hey aesir,

I am in a similar situation and so I will reply out of experience:

1. From what you say I think you can apply to one more school in the reach category.

2. In terms what responsibilities you should mention - think about what the future of the business you are in is. Where do you want to take it and what stamp will you put on it. These are the areas you need to work on in your MBA.

3. In your essays you can highlight (a) the most significant impact/changes you brought to the business. Any new ideas/ approach to existing problems...

4. Recommendations can be obtained from clients and bankers with whom you have a good rapport. Most schools emphasize the relationship you've had with the person and their ability to judge your skills.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 09:24
Hey Deepauk,

Thank you so much for your inputs. Great to hear from a guy who has been or is in a similar situation. I am writing essays on the lines which you have said.

So you would say that my profile suits the target schools fine. If I have to add a college for reach, I would look at Berkeley Haas as it offers the entrepreneurship and International Business specialization I want. My GMAT is a concern as it falls below the school avg of UCLA and Haas. Can the work ex offset low GMAT?

Thanx again,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 21:44
aesir2100 wrote:
My GMAT is a concern as it falls below the school avg of UCLA and Haas. Can the work ex offset low GMAT?

No worries aesir, and please remember this is an opinion.
If you really like Haas you should look into it, really research it. Kryzak - a gmatclubber in Haas - might be able to help you out.

Usually GMAT is combined with undergrad GPA as an indicator of intellectual preparedness/capability. Work ex is an indicator of experience leadership etc... If you are really concerned about your GMAT and you think you can better your score then you should reconsider taking it.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 04:55
Hi aesir

You have a unique profile compared to many other Indians.What I suggest is,since you are only 24,retake the GMAT and try to get 720+.Then you can shoot for higher ranked schools.

You should be able to get into the schools u mentioned with your current profile though.
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 21:38
Hey sorry for the late reply and thanx for ur inputs :) Considering that I want to target R2 this year, another GMAT attempt looks difficult this year.

I want to concentrate on CA colleges because of the VC activities there. UCLA would be a reach i guess. Now that u mention it, is age an factor while getting admits?

Also, How should a guy from family business background approach his essays? Should I focus on the impact made on the organization or the varied roles/ responsibilities? The word limits are posing a problem.
Re: Profile Evaluation (Family Business)   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2009, 21:38