Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Female/710/3.81/non-profit background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Female/710/3.81/non-profit background [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 10:16
Female
Vietnamese
1st generation high school and college graduate
age at matriculation: 25

University of California Berkeley
Bachelors of Arts (1) Operations Research & Management Science (2) Mass Communications
Overall and Major GPAs: 3.81

GMAT
710: 48 Quant/39 Verbal

Work Experience:
Teach For America for 2 years immediately after undergrad. I taught high school math on a Native American reservation and was considered the highest performing math teacher in that region the both years I was there. I also worked with TFA in other respects: executed and planned a 200+ person education summit, interviewed corps members over the phone, lead our region's math learning team, worked at TFA's summer institute as a School Operations Manager, and a variety of other things (speeches, etc.).

Then, I decided to pursue a job related to my Operations major. I joined a private industrial supply company as a "management hire" which is essentially a project and operations manager. I managed the daily operations for half the day where I oversaw a warehouse of over 250,000 different products and 80 employees. Then, I worked on an efficiency/operational project for the other half.

After 8 months there, I decided I wanted to rejoin the education movement. I now work at an educational start up that provides high quality education in Kenyan slums. I relocated to Kenya as its Training Content Developer where I develop the entire training program to train Kenyan high school graduates from the same slum communities to run and manage a primary school.

Other activities:
Amgen Fellow via TFA - only 50 chosen in the entire 2009 TFA corps; corps members are chosen based on their math and science background as well as leadership skills

New Leaders Council 2012 - a fellowship for progressive leaders

TFA Alumni Volunteer - hosted lunches for TFA applicants, spoke at events to welcome new corps members, answer corps members concerns, etc.

School Choices:

Top Choice - Stanford
Then, I would say any school in the Top 8

Post MBA plans:

intersection of education and business, specifically closing the "achievement gap" between children from low-income/high-poverty backgrounds and others.

Weaknesses:
GMAT score - it is difficult to study in Nairobi because I don't have many resources, the internet is unreliable, and it is difficult to find a place to study. I don't think I will retake it.

Break in employment history - is it a weakness that I steered away from education for 8 months? Personally, I know it was a great and necessary move, but how will the admissions team view it?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Female/710/3.81/non-profit background [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 02:38
Expert's post
Hello there,
You have a LOVELY profile, with lots of success, lots of leadership, and a great dedication to education.
I would not even consider retaking the GMAT if I were you. You have a 710. It's great. Go with it.
From here on in, what you need to do is work on making the best applications you can.
As for the slight veer in your career history. Its totally fine. You just should think about a way to weave it into a linear narrative. How can you make this a part of your story? How can you show that what you got out of it made you realize something? And that things you picked up were useful to you later in your career? If you can do all the above, then you are off to a good start.

I don't know which schools you consider "Top 8" but given your profile, I would say Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Tuck, Columbia, Haas, are all great options.

Best of luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!