Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (Female, 760, 3rd round)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation (Female, 760, 3rd round) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:46
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate your input on my 3rd round application strategy. I am putting together my 3rd round apps right now, and I want to know if I should bother applying to schools that discourage 3rd round apps. Kellogg and Wharton actually tell you to apply by R2, so should I forget those schools?

My profile:

26 at matriculation, Russian-Canadian, female, speak 4 languages. All WE and education in Canada. GMAT 760 (49Q, 47V, 6.0 AWA). B.Commerce, GPA 3.9 (graduated 4 years ago from an okay school)

WE: co-op in university (mostly public sector). Then, marketing stint at a start-up, left to help my mother start small business (now successful), spent a year in a small tech consulting firm as analyst, now working in public sector with solid responsibility and a promotion up a level after a year. I have accomplishments (showing vision/initiative) at each job. Short-term goal is to career change into consulting, with entrepreneurship in the longer term.

ECs: Lots of extracurricular leadership and case competitions in university. Currently, mostly fitness and creative (skiing, photography, etc.)

Any thoughts on 3rd round friendly schools? Where would you apply if you were me? My current list is HBS, Columbia, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Wharton. I am interested in Stanford and Haas as well, but technology is not a major interest for me (even though entrepreneurship is).

Thanks so much!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation (Female, 760, 3rd round) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 14:55
With your grades and GMAT, you should have a good shot at a top school, even in round three. I am a female 3rd round success story (with a 740 GMAT and a lower GPA than you had) so I'm hopeful for you!! You may be a bit light on work experience as it looks like you changed jobs a bit (this can make it more difficult to get fantastic LORs as your recommenders don't have the depth of experience with you that an Adcom might want to see) but you have other strengths that would add to the diversity of a class.

I think your list is fine. I would never recommend applying to more than five schools in one rounds so I'd pick your favorites. Usually international applicants are asked to apply to earlier rounds so if a school specifically says that, you may want to focus your efforts elsewhere. There isn't really a "safety" school on your list (Tuck seems to be the lease competitive on the list and it is a top school!), but, as long as you are okay with the possibility of no acceptances, I'd keep your list as it is. I think you'd be better off going to a top 10 school the following year than settling for a lesser school now.

Good luck!

Veritas Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.