Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Female applicant, 44

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Female applicant, 44 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 22:04
Hi Alex,

I am considering part-time MBA from Kellogg or Chicago, and the following is my profile

School Stats:
- Undergrad 3.7 GPA (Top 5% of the class), Indian university
- BS, Electronics Engg
- Postgrad 3.5 GPA
- MS Computer Engg, UT Austin
- Designation: Engg Proj Mgr
- 720 GMAT (41M, 47V awaiting AWA), just appeared for GMAT on May 30, 2009
- female, parent, juggling a high-schooler's impending departure for college/need to pay his college tuition soon and

Work Experience
- 1 year, work at pioneering telecom firm in India
(post-grad in USA)
- 3 years at Big 4 Consulting, Chicago, Philadelphia
- 4-6 years, self-employed (full-time) consultant, IT, Internet & database technologies (when children were young)
- 6.75 years, rose from solutions architect to engg proj mgr at a small wireless applications firm, worked with global telecom operators in USA, Asia and Europe in the process
- currently looking for a job

Extracurricular
- Active volunteer in various local organizations including HIstorical Society and Culture Heritage Society
- Founder, organizer and volunteer parent for a local parent-run Kiddie Heritage and Culture Club for Asian Indians
- Passionate volunteer, esp. for civic institutions that support art, culture, history, architecture and preservation of heritage

Career Goals:
(1) To work in prod dev in wireless and telecom technology sectors, hopefully a large organization, since I am done with my share of start-ups and dot-coms. (primary reason for MBA - tired of working in insular, small organizations with no brand name)
(2) Advise, analyze and publish as an industry analyst
(2) Non-profit sector management, specifically combine interests in wireless, mobile technologies and global culture and heritage (e.g. CIO of a large museum or art institute)

My questions:
(1) Am I too old? (I am at the classic career crossroads, need a second wind in my career)
(2) DO I need a MBA? (Network and career experience have not panned out as yet to get jobs in prod dev in large organizations, which always seem to want or prefer MBA)
(3) What type of MBA would help? eMBA or part-time MBA?
(4) Do I have a chance at the schools I mentioned given my profile?
(5) Do I have a chance of making substantial headway in career goals even if I get an MBA?
(6) Would a Public Policy and Non-profit Mgmt cert be sufficient to do the trick, at least for Career Goal #3?

Thank you so much!

Best regards
Kananbala Deepti
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Female applicant, 44 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 09:02
To answer your questions:

1. For part-time programs, you're NOT too old. You'll be on the older side, but b-schools aren't really age biased with their part-time programs. So long as you can show how the MBA can help you in your current career, that's what matters most.

2. No one "needs" an MBA. Can it help? Certainly. But to what degree it can, varies by individual. Only you know how strong your body of work is to date. The richer your prior experience (and the stronger your network), the less useful an MBA will be at your age, beyond the intellectual fulfillment of learning new subjects.

3. EMBA vs. part-time MBA -- depends on your own preferences. There's overlap between both in terms of the kinds of students (although part-time may have a wider age range from young to old, whereas EMBA is mostly mid-career); the main logistical difference is that the EMBA holds classes on the weekends, whereas the part-time holds classes on weekday evenings. The part-time program curriculum is usually similar (or even identical) to the full-time programs, but spread out over a longer period (3-4 years). The EMBA is sort of an "MBA-lite" usually -- it doesn't cover as much ground, and can at times feel like a country club, with the employer sponsoring the student's tuition.

4. Yes. Strong execution on the applications (and apply early), coupled with some luck on your side and you have a decent shot.

5. Only you can answer that.

6. Don't know. At your age, I'd focus on what I can do without investing time/money into additional education -- see how far you can go with the experience/network you have now.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation - Female applicant, 44   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2009, 09:02