Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation(Female/International/Marketing)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation(Female/International/Marketing) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:38
Profile:
3.25 Undergrad GPA (cumulative GPA was 3.4 until the last semester when i got a full-time offer before graduation and couldn't focus on school)– Korean Top 5 school – English & Education Major
GMAT: 730/96% – Q48/82% - V41/92% - AWA: pending
25 years old (26 by matriculation) – Female – Asian (International Student)
TOEFL (IBT) 117
* I'm currently in the process of petitioning for my greencard, which I will probably get by early next year.
Letters of recommendation from current supervisor and previous supervisor should be fine

WE:
-2 years of market research at L'Oreal Korea as a researcher: Worked almost exclusively with the global teams in conducting consumer researches.
-1 year of market analytics at Pfizer Korea as a market analyst. Conducted market researches and was also involved in competitor intelligence/strategic planning
- Previous Internships with top market research firm and a global FMCG company
- Worked for mostly multi-national companies with strong global presence, but in the Korean branch.

EC:
- As an undergrad, I was actively involved with the school's newspaper. (3 yrs, 1 yr as an editor). Also interned at a number of big news paper companies in Korea.
- After graduation, nothing substantial. I swam competitvely until junior high, and still swim frequently, but not in an organization that allows for leadership opportunities. I was the member of a scuba diving team at my company.

Goals:
-MBA in Marketing
-Transition from market research to product marketing. Would prefer to work in FMCG or entertainment/media industry.

Schools:
-UCLA Anderson
-USC Marshall
-Northwestern Kellogg
-any schools in either CA or NY (including NYU/Columbia/Berkeley...)

UCLA/USC are my focus (I will be moving to LA early next year), with Berkeley as a stretch school. Do you think that I am shooting a bit too high? If so, what do you think would be more reasonable options?

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation(Female/International/Marketing) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 13:43
Expert's post
espirit,

First, I think you have established very clear and achievable goals - changing roles/function within the same industry is something that is both appropriate for an MBA and also something that schools like to see. Where you will need to focus your attention in building out an application profile is on your maturity and leadership - the former is implicated by your GPA (especially the late fade) even though there is a reason behind it, and the latter is something you will need to display so you can go from being a cog in the machine to the person running the machine.

As for your schools, I don't think those are reaches at all. With UCLA, you have to showcase leadership through teamwork and a certain spirit of innovation. With USC, you have to make sure they don't feel like a safety school.

If you want to get into all this, PM me and we'll set you up with a consultation.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton