Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Financial analyst tech sector 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - Financial analyst tech sector 710 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:13
Hi,

I am a French Canadian business graduate looking for admission in a Top10 US university. It would really be appreciated if you could review my profile and make suggest my strengths and weaknesses as well as my chances to achieve my goal. I could give the GMAT another shot if it will make or break me... Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated and what services you services from an admission consultant as yourself I would most benefit from.

1) work experience.

Senior Accountant at KPMG (out of college)
3 years at KPMG where I was double promoted and become a senior accountant very quickly and was able to lead large projects with teams of 5 accountants
1 in 5 Canadians selected for Fast Forward leadership program in Hollywood

Financial Analyst in a High tech post startup company (following KPMG)
Top 3 fastest growing company in North America, fast paced and very entrepreneurial environment
In charge of international operations where I worked on the acquisition (due diligence, valuation and integrating activities) of a company in Sweden
Setup a company in Ireland to support European sales and setup infrastructure in several European countries as well as Asia
Coordinating and coaching staff in several countries as well as working closely with lawyers, consultants,..
The finance department doubled in size while I was there so I trained a lot of different people

2)GMAT: 710

3) College info:

Bachelor in business administration at HEC Montreal (French school) with 3.7 GPA/4.0; started with a very low GPA (3.3 after 1/3 of degree) but managed to progressively increase my grades while working part time
Graduate degree in accounting at HEC Montreal (French school): 3.83/4.0

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities

- More recently involved as an advisor in a Foundation that helps young entrepreneurs grow their business and provides some financing for interesting projects

- Volunteer coordinator for a tax clinic producing tax returns for free for low-income individuals

- Worked part time correcting business cases and coaching students at my university while working full time

- During my college degree, I did a semester in Austria, worked in China for several months after finding employment by myself.

- Other international relevant experience: I had the opportunity to do business trips for some projects in Sweden, USA, throughout Canada, Ireland, Netherlands and China

5) Important certifications:
CA

6) Target programs.
Columbia, MIT, NYU, Yale, Booth (in order of preference)

7) Post-MBA goal
Go into investment banking, I did some research but don’t all the top schools in my reach to get into IB
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Financial analyst tech sector 710 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 13:13
Expert's post
Hi gmatmaster1985,

It's great to hear from you. My Stratus Prep colleagues and I have really enjoyed working with applicants from Canada. In fact, last year, we had a similar applicant from Montreal admitted to HBS.

With a well-executed application (after all the essays are the top factor in admission), you will be very competitive at the schools you mentioned in your post. I think your particular strengths are your strong GPA from a top school, your strong GMAT score, and your entrepreneurial work experience. I don't think you need to retake the GMAT unless your Quant was under the 80th percentile (then retaking might be helpful for the more quantitatively-focused schools like Columbia, MIT and Wharton - see below, I think you should apply to Wharton).

While you will be competitive at the schools on your list, I think you should also apply to some stretch schools, as I believe you have the potential to get into even better schools, particularly Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton. At Stratus Prep, I have seen numerous applicants with accounting backgrounds (a number of whom were also from Canada) admitted to all three of these top schools. You might also want to consider being a bit more ambitious with your career goals. While investment banking can be quite rewarding, if you want to move directly into private equity, venture capital or hedge funds, I believe that you could do so (especially if you attend Harvard, Stanford and Wharton which should really be on your radar).

For all the schools you apply to, target or stretch, it is essential that you not rely too much on your numerical strengths. A truly compelling application will not only help you win admission to top schools, but also help you gain significant merit-based aid. When Stratus Prep MBA Admissions Counselors and I collaborate with applicants on an application, we work tirelessly with you to develop your personal and professional story into a unique package that will appeal to admissions committees and maximize your financial aid awards. This strategy has led to many of our clients receiving partial or full scholarships to the schools of their choice.

My team at Stratus Prep and I would be happy to work with you so that you can hopefully enjoy the same results as very similar candidates we have assisted in previous years. To discuss this further, feel free to private message me or email me at shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com.

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Re: Profile Evaluation - Financial analyst tech sector 710   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2012, 13:13