Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.89
WE:Science (Health Care)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for A Career Swticher [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi again!

Thanks for your detailed feedback... it sounds like you are on the right track in thinking through important questions and lines of thought that will be crucial to nail on the application to have a shot at acceptance. By the way if you are a female applicant (don't want to assume but you mentioned the 'female authority' conflict), that is another small plus in that schools are looking for strong, qualified female applicants.

Yes I think your points on #'s 1 and 2 about the past+MBA = goals are all good and relevant. And I think what you'd draw into it in addition are even more of the leadership and teamwork skills-- these are pretty important in the b-school world! So, I would say, schools will assume you're great at the research and knowledge side given your background, but they may wonder about your skills as a leader, manager, working on a team project etc... all of which it sounds like you have great experiences with, it's just that those will be very important to highlight, especially with stories and examples in your essays. And working with others from different nationalities/backgrounds is a great point to include too!

To your point on your goals, it may work better if you can be more confident in your goals to focus more on the consulting, BUT depending on how you explain it or how much thought you've put into it, the bigger-picture goals could still be interesting too.... what we do with our consulting clients for example is have a thorough brainstorming process, written and verbal, to really draw out key themes and see what works. Even if you don't work with a consultant, you could try brainstorming key themes on your own, or even put together outlines or rough drafts of 2 different versions of your essays, one with the bigger picture social enterprise goals, one without, and run them by colleagues who know b-school well or other respected friends for opinions.

Keep us posted with q's and progress!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for A Career Switcher [#permalink]
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
By the way if you are a female applicant (don't want to assume but you mentioned the 'female authority' conflict), that is another small plus in that schools are looking for strong, qualified female applicants.

Yes, I am a girl. How much I love the color pink won't be in my essay. :wink: :-D

mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Yes I think your points on #'s 1 and 2 about the past+MBA = goals are all good and relevant. And I think what you'd draw into it in addition are even more of the leadership and teamwork skills-- these are pretty important in the b-school world! So, I would say, schools will assume you're great at the research and knowledge side given your background, but they may wonder about your skills as a leader, manager, working on a team project etc... all of which it sounds like you have great experiences with, it's just that those will be very important to highlight, especially with stories and examples in your essays. And working with others from different nationalities/backgrounds is a great point to include too!

Indeed, thanks! :wink:

Edited

NoriNY wrote:
1. Transferable skills bewteen my past and desired post MBA professions as schools must be concerned about their applicants' employability.
2. examples showcasing my leadership skills, project and people management experiences, working on a team project with a diverse group of people
3. How my knowledge in biology, R&D experience and MBA toghether will enable me to create impact in a way that few can.

I guess for #2, can I list only two short stories as the space is limited? drawing on my work and/or extracurricular activities? Would two be enough?

mbaMissionJenK wrote:
To your point on your goals, it may work better if you can be more confident in your goals to focus more on the consulting, BUT depending on how you explain it or how much thought you've put into it, the bigger-picture goals could still be interesting too.... what we do with our consulting clients for example is have a thorough brainstorming process, written and verbal, to really draw out key themes and see what works. Even if you don't work with a consultant, you could try brainstorming key themes on your own, or even put together outlines or rough drafts of 2 different versions of your essays, one with the bigger picture social enterprise goals, one without, and run them by colleagues who know b-school well or other respected friends for opinions.

I concur. It's something I would like to include granted that 1. it fits, and that 2. I can make sure not to come across as lacking focus or trying hard to say something that I think the adcom wants to hear. That basically means I should either explain it well or not include it at all. 8-)

I will try brainstorming for a few sentences to see how it goes as per your advice. It might work for NYU as they give 250 extra words. I am not sure if you feel the same way, but I get the sense from talking to their adcoms that Columbia is more concerned about applicants who seem to lack focus than Stern is, so, it'll be slightly more risky for me to try this in their essay, aside from the space issue. It'd be a good idea to talk about the big picture if this were for some other schools such as Wharton or MIT.

Any particular issues that I should address in optional essays? Here are a few things that come to my mind.

1. Do you think that these New York City schools will be concerned about my age for instance? Around me, age is just a number (as you may know if you are in a large city), but I am reading online how internships are for twenty something. I am 36 / will be 37 by Fall 2014. On the other hand, where I work, I've seen some PhD students in their 30s go off to i-bank internships for full-time associate positions, and I think i-banking tends to gravitate toward younger people compared to management consulting. I've also seen one post-doc (she had a PhD plus 3 years of post doctoral training in research) get picked up by McKinsey.

2. Career progression - I was promoted two ranks to the highest possible title one year into my job. Since then, there has been no title-changing promotion because the institution sets specific titles for each educational level, and I am already at the highest title allowed for those with Masters' level education. But the concern is that they could think I am trying to get out of a stagnant career. Is the optics of this bad enough to the point that I should proactively address this in an optional essay?

If so, the challenge is that I have difficulty demonstrating increased responsibility the way that I might be able to in a regular business career. Normally, increased responsibility means managing more people or taking care of more types of things, which does not happen in my field. In my field, growing professionally means acquiring more knowledge in the field that I am in, becoming capable of identifying things to test through integrated reasoning, seeing pitfalls of experimental methods and choosing proper strategies to test hypotheses depending on the case. I cannot quantify my growing knowledge or ability in integrated reasoning. I manage my own projects and others', but I only supervise one person at a time because working on my own projects takes a lot of time. I would like to think that conveying that business school is my next career progression (as opposed to getting on a completely different career track) will make them not put too much focus on this, but I am still worried that they might not get a correct impression about why I want to switch my career. :shock:
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for A Career Switcher [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi again!

Let's see if I can answer a few more of your q's.

Re: number of experiences you describe, it really depends on how you lay out your essays and overall set of essays... you can generally include more than just 2 examples though. Some may be described in more depth than others.

I guess I'd very slightly agree with your point about NYU vs Columbia, but that said I'd also say that all top b-schools would rather not accept an applicant that they feels 'lacks focus' to use that phrase. ;) And I'd say the best essay/s will be and therefore come across as pretty genuine in terms of both short and long term goals with good rationale for your choices.

#1: most schools will say that age does not matter. That said you can also look closely at class profiles of any school online and see what the ages or years of work experience are for their admitted class. It is true that you will be a good deal older than most applicants and admitted students. What that usually means is you have to make an even stronger case for why you do still need the MBA, why it will still work for you and your career, why NOW. At this point you may have already done so but can't hurt to reach out to admissions offices and get their take on a q like that as well.

#2: It's true that progression over time in your job is preferred. I wouldn't say change of title is always required; within your resume you can detail increasing responsibility, leadership, management of teams, accomplishments, etc. Any way in which you go beyond the expected role and responsibilities is a plus. I would think though that you can manage this within your resume and potentially essays to an extent; wouldn't see this as optional essay requirement. Even if you only manage one person. Think about ways that anything you did, made a difference in some way to someone or to outcomes or to results, etc. I think your biggest challenge is making a really compelling case for why you need the MBA... but you should be able to do so based on genuine reasons, not something you say to get accepted.... i.e. if you're not sure about the MBA, then it will be difficult to get accepted. If you know you need it and want it for xyz reasons and now is the right time etc, then explain all of that and see what happens.

If you're interested in additional Q&A with a consultant at any point we are always offering the free 30 min profile review sessions, https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php. Just in case you would find that useful.
Moderator:
1452 posts