Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for a guy aspiring to be a CIO

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 3: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 4: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation for a guy aspiring to be a CIO [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:14
Hi Team,

Kindly review my profile. I am an Indian male with 27 years of age. I have put my points briefly below.

Company

One of the Big-Four Professional Services Firms.

Role

Leading a Team of 10 people, managing the release and maintenance of our Internal IT applications, working with Development, Testing and Infrastructure Teams.

Job Location and Tenure

India, 5 years this June 2014.

Career Focus

Becoming a CIO for a Fortune 500 firm.

Why a CIO

My work profile has given me a great exposure to IT software development practices and trends as well as the other side of IT such as IT infrastructure, Cloud, Security etc. The service oriented culture of a Big-Four firm has given me a great insight into how the world conducts business. I strongly believe I can be a better part when the world of business meets IT.

Why do I need an MBA

My background is in IT. But my goal of becoming a CIO needs skillsets which I dont have right now. At my current progress it would take many years due to the skew towards IT skillsets ( IT skillsets change very fast and we spend more time focusing on new tech). I believe an MBA would complement my skillsets and help jumpstart my career progression towards a CIO.

Extra-curricular activities

Participated in Music and Dance activities since school days with active participation at the Intra and Inter Corporate Cultural events. Active member contributing to and researching about Online-Grid computing Intiatives that provides computing resources for research activities.

Besides my regular work, I lead another team of high achievers, working with Leadership of our 300+ member group on initiatives to improve HR aspects.

GMAT

690 ( Q 49, V 35 , IR 6, AWA 6.0) - Fourth Attempt ( one of my concerns )

Education :-

BTech specializing in Computer Science & Engineering( 79 % aggregate. no GPA).

Planning to Apply during :-

R1 this year.

Target Programs :-

Any Program that would be best for an IT pro looking to scale up to management. Shortlisted FT at MIT Sloan, Chicago Booth, Stanford GSB and Berkely considering they are the best for IT-pros. I will also be applying to Rotman and Schulich(Canada), NUS-Singapore and the Indian School of Business.

Need Advice on

I would be taking up additional opportunities at work to improve my profile. It would be great if you could advise me in two things.

1) GMAT score - is 690 good or should I risk a 5th attempt to get much higher.
2) Profile vs Target B Schools. What do you think is a reasonable target B School.

Thanks in advance !
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for a guy aspiring to be a CIO [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 22:21
Expert's post
Hi lukeofalltrades,

Thanks for your post. For top 10 MBA programs, most schools like to see GMAT scores of at least a 700.

With your GMAT, one thing that is important to remember is that your highest score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your best score. There is no harm in taking the exam again, which is why we recommend candidates take the test again if they believe they can improve their score by 30+ points.

If you'd like, MBA.com provides 2 free official practice exams. We also provide free GMAT advice here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/test-prep-hub/

We also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap