Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for a small engineer in a big world

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation for a small engineer in a big world [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 21:38
Hi Alex,
I recently finished my GMAT and I am very curious to gauge where I stand. I would definitely appreciate some feedback on the strength of my application.

Background
- Age 25
- Ethnicity Asian Male Canadian

Academics
- GPA 3.6/4.0 - Mechanical Engineering, University of Toronto
- GMAT 750 Q50, V41

Work Experience
- Current: 2 yrs of Industrial Engineering experience at leading pharmaceutical retailer, during this time i had the opportunity to work alongside one of the big 3 consultants on a project and the experience gave me a taste of consulting blood
- Prior experience: 16 mths of continuous improvement, manufacturing, industrial engineering experience (prior to graduation)

Extra-Cirricular
- student club in undergrad
- became iOS developer to see the iOS ecosystem and developed an app that is currently on the market

Goal and Motivations
- Enroll in Wharton / Kellogg / HBS for fall 2012
- Long-term work at top 3 consulting - management consulting

Questions
- Specifically would my odds be reasonable enough to warrant applying to these 3 schools?
- If not what other schools do you feel I should focus my attention on?

I know that it is already late in the recruiting season and my chances are probably further crippled.
Please let me know your candid take on my application. Thanks for your time.

-Steven
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for a small engineer in a big world [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 11:36
Don't apply Round 3.

Also, you can afford to work at least 1-2 more years before applying. Simply put, while you have a good start to your career thus far, you're up against other engineers (from around the world) who will have more experience and more achievements to talk about than you. Most engineers at these top schools have around 4-6 years of full-time experience at matriculation.

And before you trumpet your co-op experience - don't. The only people who seem to make a big deal of it are Canadian students (mostly Waterloo and UofT engineers). Yes, it may be a big deal in Canada for a young person just coming out of school, but no one else around the world cares. They are considered internships, not real full-time experience, no matter how you slice and dice it (the big reason is that the expectations are MUCH different for someone who is hired full-time versus someone hired for a fixed period to work on a specific project). Also, when you have a few more years of full-time experience (when your undergrad and co-op experience becomes more a distant memory), you will be better able to put it in perspective and realize that it's not really the same as your full-time experience: in fact, you will likely find that it will take next to no space in your resume because you have much more achievements and milestones from your full-time experience to highlight.

Again, you have a solid start to your career thus far. Keep working. Don't rush into b-school just yet because at this point you aren't as competitive as other engineers applying. With a few more years under your belt you will be more competitive for b-school - not just admissions, but also post-MBA recruiting.

At the very bare minimum, apply for the R1 deadlines this fall -- not for the R3 deadlines now.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation for a small engineer in a big world   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2012, 11:36