Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 08:44
Hi Alex

Could you review my profile? I'd really like to get into top schools and looking forward to applying in R2

1) Demographic Info: 28/M/Indian

2) Education:
-- Undergrad - Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) 2005
-- CGPA - 7.34 out of 10
-- CFA L3 candidate
-- Several finance domain related certifications
-- Mandarin Chinese basics (required in current role)

3) Tests:
-- GMAT 690 (49Q,34V,3.5AWA) in Aug/2007
-- GMAT 750 (50Q,42V,3.5AWA) in Sep/2010

4) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?
-- Apr'09 to current --> Family biz (a startup) - a manufacturing unit - 50+ suppliers, 100+ employees and 2 major domestic clients. Head of the venture. Many initiatives to break out of traditional way of working.
-- Jul'05 to Mar'09 --> Software Engg/Team Lead in a major Indian IT firm. 1 yr international exp. Promoted to lead role in less than 2 yrs. Quit job to help family in establishing the biz

5) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?
-- In college - many such as event management, club secretary and hostel committee
-- Post-coll - few - within my company. But recently founded a new biz and guided family members to take over the responsibilities. Also tutor cousins at home (apprx 2-4 hrs a week)

6) Short/Long term goals:
-- Develop affordable and energy efficient household products such as solar lanterns. Work in India and then expand into other emerging/developing nations in long term.

7) Schools:
-- Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 09:46
To be honest, you're a stretch for HBS, Stanford, Wharton and MIT.

Note that MIT only has 2 rounds, so their Round 2 is like everyone else's round 3. At MIT, they build the majority of their class from their Round 1 admitted students, which leaves relatively few spaces left from the Round 2 pool. If you wanted to apply to Sloan, you should've done so for Round 1 (where you would've at least been competitive for).

H/S/W are stretches, especially H/S since "Indian engineers" are basically a non-starter there (i.e. H/S has engineers, H/S has Indians, but they aren't really looking for those who are both - yes, you have family biz/startup experience, but you're still a variation on the "Indian engineer" -- had you been Indian and a McKinsey consultant in the US/Europe who was 2-4 years out of undergrad, you would've been competitive). Wharton is more of a possibility.

I would look at other more realistic schools like Kellogg, Booth, and Tuck instead.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 18:56
Thanks for the reply Alex. I forgot to mention that for the MIT, I am interested in LGO program. For that reason, MIT is my top choice. Do you think applying to LGO would be equally tough?

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 15:22
Since the LGO program's one and only deadline is Dec 15, you should be fine, and given your background probably a pretty good fit.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 07:20
Alex

I am interested in interview only service. Can you let me know more about it?

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 11:44
Contact me offline then.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation for Admission to Top Schools   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2010, 11:44