Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for an Asian American

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation for an Asian American [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 10:13
Good afternoon,
I am an Asian-American Male targetting Stanford, Haas, UCLA, and one of either Sloan/Wharton/Booth and will likely be investing in a 4-school package. I won't be applying until Fall 2015 in all likelihood. I'm interested in startups, ventures, technology, and healthcare -- ideally I'd like to work at intersection of all 4.

Education/GMAT:
-Graduated from a mid-level University of California campus (Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, San Diego tier)
-GPA: 3.7, double majored in Economics and Communication
-GMAT: Taking at end of April. Based on GMATPrep practice tests I'm expecting around a 730 – 750

Work Experience:
Medium-Size Healthcare Consulting firm specializing in Lost Hospital Reimbursement and Revenue Cycle improvement.
- Will have 4 years WE by Fall 2015 which means I'd be matriculating with 5
-Promoted from Associate to Senior Associate in less than 2 years.
Responsibilities include: manage projects which includes leading a team of anywhere from 1-10 Associates (management experience), managing the hospital client (usually directors and sometimes CFO's), projecting staffing needs and profitability targets (valuable strategy experience), compiling client deliverables and internal reporting documents (consulting experience).
- Outside of project work, I administer formal trainings to groups of 8-15 Associates and am passionate about their professional and technical development. I am also the “technical” committee and we design and streamline tools for the entire company to use.

Extracurricular
I am about to start on a volunteer project outside of work. I will be working with the CEO and CFO of a nearby health clinic which primarily serves Asian Americans in the community who do not speak English and generally are not healthcare-savvy (typically traditional Asians don’t use preventative healthcare – they just wait until something happens). I will be working to improve their Revenue Cycle while also assisting the CFO with various financial analysis projects to try to reorganize revenue, cut costs, and increase the volume of patients who have commercial insurance (commercial insurance usually reimburses a lot more than government programs).

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation for an Asian American [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 13:42
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting, and sounds like you are looking well ahead which is a plus as it allows you plenty of time to sufficiently prepare for your GMAT, and THEN focus on creating compelling application essays, which is ideal.

Your profile was interesting to read and I believe that will help you get noticed by the admissions committees, so that is a good start. Be sure you do nail that GMAT as you expect too. Generally then you'd have the following strengths going for you:

-GMAT (tbc)
-strong academic performance
-plenty of evidence of quant and analytical ability, as well as project and people management skills
-leadership/management/teamwork experiences to cite and draw from (through leading teams at work, mentoring/training outside of work that you do, and the upcoming volunteer work/advising you'll be doing)
-healthcare consulting industry-- an area that likely schools would like to have qualified candidates from, within their classrooms (this is a big plus in my view)

Potential weaknesses thus far:

-not many.... undergrad school tier could be higher but at least GPA is very strong.
-not a weakness, but just want to emphasize the importance of showcasing your management, leadership, and PEOPLE skills... you have plenty of them and great experiences to draw from, and that will help round out the image you already have on paper of strong at the technical/quant/project management skills

Sounds like you're off to a great start. When you are ready, you may want to begin with our free 30 min consult for early feedback, to talk through any overall remaining questions and your plan of action (sign up for a consult at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php). And/or let us know here if you have further questions. Certainly a qualified admissions consultant can help you with every step of the process and provide feedback on the image you are portraying within your essays and application, on your writing, and on how you can present the best possible version of yourself. Good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php