Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 11:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thank you for reviewing my profile. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am aiming to attend a top-tier b-school for a 2-year full time MBA for Sept 2014 entry.

My goal is to get into Columbia, but am also interested in Wharton, Harvard, LBS, Stern.

At present:
Age: 25yrs (turning 26 later this year), male, asian, Canada

Work Ex: 4 years in total
-2+ years sell-side equity research
-Previously at small value fund in ops

Graduation: CGPA 3.8/4.0 Health Sciences with Minor in Business
Summa Cum Laude, Dean's list all years
-Originally aimed for med school, but realized towards the latter half of undergrad that I wanted to go into finance. I'd say it took me so long to realize due to cultural pressures.
GMAT score: 680 (48q, 35v)

Extra Curricular:
-Completed CFA Level 3
-Attended Columbia investing conference in each of the last 3 years
-Attended Berkshire Meeting for the first time last year
-Basketball/volleyball league
-Avid investor (generated +20% per year over last three years); started investing during undergrad using technical analysis. I got really hooked and eventually got burned. Since then, I have fully embraced value investing and read anything and everything on the topic (hence why I have been attending Columbia conference and Berkshire meeting, all of which has been on my own dime).

Post MBA goals:
Short-term: Work for value-focused hedge fund
Longer-term: Start my own fund back in Canada where there is a very limited number of reputable value oriented funds. I would want to start a mutual fund to provide retail investors with a way to earn a decent return on capital. What I've learned in the industry is that retail investors are highly disadvantaged; I would like to change this in Canada.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 21:52
Expert's post
gr33ngi4nt wrote:
Thank you for reviewing my profile. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am aiming to attend a top-tier b-school for a 2-year full time MBA for Sept 2014 entry.

My goal is to get into Columbia, but am also interested in Wharton, Harvard, LBS, Stern.

At present:
Age: 25yrs (turning 26 later this year), male, asian, Canada

Work Ex: 4 years in total
-2+ years sell-side equity research
-Previously at small value fund in ops

Graduation: CGPA 3.8/4.0 Health Sciences with Minor in Business
Summa Cum Laude, Dean's list all years
-Originally aimed for med school, but realized towards the latter half of undergrad that I wanted to go into finance. I'd say it took me so long to realize due to cultural pressures.
GMAT score: 680 (48q, 35v)

Extra Curricular:
-Completed CFA Level 3
-Attended Columbia investing conference in each of the last 3 years
-Attended Berkshire Meeting for the first time last year
-Basketball/volleyball league
-Avid investor (generated +20% per year over last three years); started investing during undergrad using technical analysis. I got really hooked and eventually got burned. Since then, I have fully embraced value investing and read anything and everything on the topic (hence why I have been attending Columbia conference and Berkshire meeting, all of which has been on my own dime).

Post MBA goals:
Short-term: Work for value-focused hedge fund
Longer-term: Start my own fund back in Canada where there is a very limited number of reputable value oriented funds. I would want to start a mutual fund to provide retail investors with a way to earn a decent return on capital. What I've learned in the industry is that retail investors are highly disadvantaged; I would like to change this in Canada.

Your GMAT is low for these programs, especially for Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, and Stern. You may have a better chance at LBS. Have you considered a retake?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:36
[quote=]
Your GMAT is low for these programs, especially for Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, and Stern. You may have a better chance at LBS. Have you considered a retake?

Best,
Linda[/quote]

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to rewrite, but am in the process of applying to Columbia for pre-decision. Given the rest of my background, do you think this would be an unwise decision? I've talked to a bunch of people (alumni/current students/admissions) who recommended I do this, however, I'm trying to be realistic and get an unbiased opinion.

Thanks,
Victor
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 22:23
Expert's post
gr33ngi4nt wrote:
[quote=]

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to rewrite, but am in the process of applying to Columbia for pre-decision. Given the rest of my background, do you think this would be an unwise decision? I've talked to a bunch of people (alumni/current students/admissions) who recommended I do this, however, I'm trying to be realistic and get an unbiased opinion.

Thanks,
Victor[/quote]

Victor,

Hmmm. I see why they are recommending it. It's a close call. When are you planning to retake the GMAT and what do you think you can realistically get?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 03:54
Accepted. com wrote:
gr33ngi4nt wrote:
[quote=]

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks,
Victor

Victor,

Hmmm. I see why they are recommending it. It's a close call. When are you planning to retake the GMAT and what do you think you can realistically get?

Best,
Linda[/quote]

I think I can hit 700, but I'm not confident on getting much more beyond that. The issue I've been having is working 12 hours a day (thankfully no weekends anymore) and then when earning season comes around I have absolutely no time to study for two weeks. Realistically, my only option to rewrite, while still allowing myself time to work on applications (for round 2 deadlines) is the second week of October; I'm away for two weeks afterwards, and then earning season starts up again until November 15th. A part of me is thinking I'm way in over my head, and that aside from Columbia I don't have much of a chance for the other schools given my GMAT score.

Columbia told me to specify in my essay (I'll put it in my optional essay) that I am disappointed in my score and will rewrite on XX date. What are your thoughts?
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for Columbia Business School. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 10:33
Expert's post
gr33ngi4nt wrote:
Accepted. com wrote:
gr33ngi4nt wrote:
[quote=]

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks,
Victor

Victor,

Best,
Linda

I think I can hit 700, but I'm not confident on getting much more beyond that. The issue I've been having is working 12 hours a day (thankfully no weekends anymore) and then when earning season comes around I have absolutely no time to study for two weeks. Realistically, my only option to rewrite, while still allowing myself time to work on applications (for round 2 deadlines) is the second week of October; I'm away for two weeks afterwards, and then earning season starts up again until November 15th. A part of me is thinking I'm way in over my head, and that aside from Columbia I don't have much of a chance for the other schools given my GMAT score.

Columbia told me to specify in my essay (I'll put it in my optional essay) that I am disappointed in my score and will rewrite on XX date. What are your thoughts?[/quote]

I would take the advice you got from the CBS adcom. I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but don't attempt to excuse your GMAT score by mentioning your work hours. Many applicants have similar work hours. It will come across as whining..

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553