I have decided to take a plunge this year and apply to B Schools in the US, here is my profile please comment:
Here is my profile, Indian IT Male, 27 and :
1. GMAT 670 QA and VA 77% each. AWA 5.5/6
To make up for this : I have graduated with a First Class Distinction all through out my education. My college stands in the top 10 in the State of Karnataka and is affiliated to the VTU Belgaum. During my college days i have performed very well in Math Courses plus my final year project was a Speech Recognition Chip using Digital Signal Processing (DSP) which is a highly mathematical course. I have also attended a course on "Linear Algebra and its applications in DSP by a IISc professor, i have a certificate also for the same. Plus my area of work is BI where i deal everyday with numbers and deal with profit and loss and revenue information.
Should i include this information in the optional essay ? ( extenuating circumstances..) and hence plug the gaping math hole, hopefully?
2. Work Experience 5 years in IT in Business Intelligence, exceptional growth, at present a Software Architect in a startup.
3. Did market research, product design for SaaS BI Solution to deliver cost effective BI Solutions to SMEs in India. 5 lakhs rupees and a year later decided that vision and skill was not enough to take my business to Europe and the US.
4. During such time was part of TiE and OpenCoffeeClub where i have interacted with many wannabe and now successful Entrepreneurs. Have advised on integration of BI with diverse businesses such as micro financing, Movie Rentals and Bird Conservation.
5. Education is my first passion. Operating a summer school for children in a village from 1999 to increase student engagement and reduce drop outs in schools. Have since started a finishing school to enable graduates get jobs.
6. Theatre is my second passion. Performed stand up comedy in college, since then have used theater to spread awareness about ill effects of Tobacco, AIDS. Founded and managed a Rock band at college, released a CD too but gave it up for studies. That hurt a lot though
7. Profiled as ENTJ - just 3% of total population are this category. During a company wide initiative to reduce employee attrition worked as part of a team to understand ground realities of employees and worked with individuals from IT,Sales, Marketing and HR to devise and implement strategy to overcome this. Efforts have since been fruitful, company topped 'Best Employer' charts.
I have applied to the following :
1. Duke Fuqua R1. I met up a alumnus at the mbafair in Bangalore and she told me that the range of scores was 640-760 last year, hence thought of applying.
2. UC Berkeley Haas R1. Just not sure about my low GMAT score. R2 is on december 9 but not sure if in a months time i can better my score substantially.
3. Tuck - R2, risking rejection here, R3 is too damn risky even for a better GMAT score. What say folks?
4. UCLA Anderson - R2 on 8th Jan-09. Best bet, i can even better my GMAT score substantially. What are your opinions?
Personally i want to risk my money and time to attend MBA at these only, had i more time i would have considered HBS and Kellogg, but..
Your feedback appreciated.
3. Tuck - R2.