Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for full-time MBA from Wharton [#permalink]
Hi 3underscore,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I do understand that my profile falls under Indian/male/IT Engineer category. It seems completing CFA Level 3 and taking a leadership position in funding a local investment does not differentiate me from others. What else would you suggest?

I do know a hedge fund owner in Austin and I can ask him if I can work in his hedge fund part time, without pay. It does mean squeezing time out of GMAT and CFA studies but it should be possible if he agrees to it. Do you think that will help?

Is it very difficult to move into finance after MBA from a top a school if you don't have any finance work experience? I know I do not want to enter consulting after MBA. In that is the case, may be I should try switching into finance through networking and then apply for MBA. But again I don't want to be too late to do an MBA!

Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
I am curious to know the answer too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It is hard to say, and hard to identify what differentiates. It certainly shows interest in the field that helps. Does it guarantee you in, or does Finance experience guarantee you in? Sadly not - if it were so easy, we would all do MBAs if it would work out and life would be easy.

For example, three profiles from my class:

A guy (US average Joe), Trader for three years at a HF - no summer in S&T, no job.

Indian IT guy - went for summer at IB, no offer, ended up at a HF as an analyst

Indian IT guy - summer at a top IB (four or so offers), didn't pan out, now in India

You can look at it so many ways - if you reach CFA 3, why aren't you in finance now? Your leadership position can really only be played as learning that things are complex and you can lose money right now (I don't want to sound overly harsh, as in the time you can make or lose money without knowing anything really).

I am not going to be giving answers - I think asking the profile question of anyone is absolutely impossible, which is why it takes three readers and an interview at the school itself, which get way beyond the main summary applicant points. What is becoming clear is that all schools are becoming much more wary of career switchers to Finance right now, because there is so much excess capacity in the industry of experienced bankers. Wharton, NYU, Columbia and Chicago are all likely to be wary of this - I would think Wharton moreso given the size of the program.

I think you have some good supporting evidence to make yourself confident of the switch. I just suggest you should be aware they will ask these questions. I think before school doing the HF thing would be great, and using that network valuable. Don't cut the GMAT time, because if you don't get that right the whole question becomes irrelevant.
GMAT Club Bot