Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation for INSEAD [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 04:33
Dear Experts,

My Background:

Indian Male, age 36.
Engineer from National Inst of Technology (72%)
PG in telecom management

Experience :
All 11 years in sales as Account Manager / Sales Manager in leading MNCs (Microsoft, Oracle, IBM etc.) Have a successful career so far.Fast track growth in company. One of the youngest Regional sales managers, top gun award etc. Managed large accounts, competitive customer base, increased market share etc.

GMAT : 710 (Q 49 , V 39)

Extra carricular :

Nothing great. Usual stuff like quizzing, dramatics, leading college committees, work with NGO etc.

Acads : 78% in engineering. In top 10% of class in Post graduation.

International Exposure :

Been to 9 countries but never studied or worked there. All of them were short visits (sales planning, account meets, leisure etc). Worked with colleages from other countries.

Target Schools :
LBS, INSEAD.

Why MBA :
a) Get into strategy consulting or work as strategist in a tech major b) work outside India

I know that my profile has following limitations :
1. Over aged
2. Less international experience
3. Indian IT applicant (though I am in sales)

I request for your feedback and my chances of getting into LBS or INSEAD.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for INSEAD [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, you do not know if you will be admitted unless you try. Given your background and accomplishments, you are considered a strong candidate on many fronts. However, my biggest concern for you is your age -- and while we have seen candidates of your age accepted to both programs, it is significantly harder gaining admissions at this stage than it would have been a decade earlier. Most business schools look for 36 year old candidates to apply to their EMBA program for a number of reasons -- namely that your peer group is really more your peer group. Next, older candidates have a harder time transitioning to new careers and admissions does take this into consideration as they do not want you to invest all this time, effort and money and end up an unhappy customer. From an admissions perspective, these are the two major hurdles that you have to overcome.

If you do decide to apply, you have to make sure that your application, recommendations and interview are perfect. Admissions has higher expectations for their mature candidates and this means you have to deliver. Thus, I recommend that you invest the time, energy and resources in making sure that everything is up to standards.

Good Luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy review.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation for INSEAD [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 02:33
Expert's post
I would also add that when you do apply take on the age issue HEAD-ON... meaning in your goals essay explain WHY it makes sense NOW.. why you didn't do it before, and PROVE to them that it will be beneficial to you (and them) at this later stage in your life.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Evaluation for INSEAD   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2013, 02:33