Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - for INSEAD and LBS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation - for INSEAD and LBS [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 11:04
Hi,

Kindly review my profile and advise if I stand a realistic chance at either INSEAD or LBS.

Education: Masters in Economics with 2nd rank in India's best commerce college. Bachelors with Honors in Economics

Work Experience: 6 years. Currently working for credit card giant as a risk manager. Handle a team of 3 talented employees. Responsible for Europian and Asian markets. Interact with market partners in UK, Australia and Japan on a daily basis. Have only worked 3 months outside my home country (India).

GMAT: 740 (don't exactly remember scaled scores but are pretty balanced - 85% Quant and I think 95% Verbal). Yet to get AWA scores but should be at least 5.5.

Other details: 30 years of age, married with a kid.

Why MBA? Think I can do better with my career. Want to get into asset management.

I am thinking of applying to INSEAD and LBS. Evaluating ESADE but looks it is more for marketing folks. Do you think my choice of schools aligns with my career goals and do I stand a decent chance with these schools?

Thanks!

Last edited by vansh on 23 Dec 2011, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 533 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - for INSEAD and LBS [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 22:57
Expert's post
Hey sir,
Given what you have put here, INSEAD looks competitive. LBS, you could get in, but will be much tougher. There are just soooo many amazing applicants there (and esp. amazing Indian applicants) So you gotta make yourself stick out, somehow.

I would also suggest adding another school or three to the list. I'm not sure exactly what your considerations are, but if you are focusing on finance in Europe, then Oxford might be a good idea too, maybe Cambridge too.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation - for INSEAD and LBS [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 00:59
Thanks for your response. I am looking to get into finance (asset management or financial services - not ibanking). I am now definitely thinking of adding Cambridge to my list of schools. Also evaluating ESADE. What is your opinion of ESADE for the kind of roles that I am hoping to get into post-MBA?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 533 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - for INSEAD and LBS [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 02:27
Expert's post
Sounds good. ESADE has a very good solid program, though to tell you the truth I'm not sure about their finance connections. Your best bet would be to talk to students there. They can enlighten you a lot better than I could. I pulled up the stats, and 17% of their grads go into finance, which for business school is not all that much (Wharton is somewhere about 50%) BUT what you lack in quantity you may get in quality.
So chat people up. And let us know what you hear.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!