Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation for International Relation admission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation for International Relation admission [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 07:29
Hi,

I need an evaluation but situation here is little different than most of the Business School applicants

I am applying for International Relation programs. MY target is MALD (Master of Art in Law and Diplomacy) program at Tufts University's Fletcher School. I would really appreciate if you can give me some suggestion.

GMAT Score: 710
Ethnicity: East Indian
Educational Background:
MS in Aerospace Engg from University of Texas at Arlington (3.1/4.0)
BS in Mechanical Engg from a reputed university in India (3.3/4.0)

Work Experience:
1yr 10 months at the start of the program
I am currently working as a Development Engineer with Ingersoll Rand. Mainly dealing with new product introduction and technical development. I am a Six Sigma Green belt now.

Before graduate school I was taking care of my family business of technical consulting and manufacturing in India. I did that for a year.

EC activities:

-I have presented three technical papers.
-Assisted local communities in distribution of food and other necessity during floods (2 times)
-Given shelter to minorities during communal riots
-Trained Indian Classical Musician, have performed on Indian National Television
-Used to perform as a rhythm guitarist in a Pink Floyd cover band
-Have authored a blog related to International Conflicts with readership of 284 people
-In process of starting my own company for aerospace software consulting (not sure if this will help since it is not finished yet. I am updating software codes from my Master's thesis and collaborating with some other new found research companies)
- Speak 4 Indian languages fluently
-Speak Japanese fluently and taking some classes in German

Goal after completion of MALD program
-Seek career in security related business consulting. I believe that my Aerospace Engg background would be helpful since most of the defence technologies are aerospace technologies. My focus is more on impact of PTBT or Ballistic Missile treaty on business relation between countries and impact of such international treaties and other weapon deals on specific business sector of certain countries.

Based on the information can you give me an idea where I need some more work. I already applied to Fletcher school last year and did not get acceptance, since I was applying based on 3 years old GRE scores.

I would also appreciate if you can suggest me some business schools, which can help me to get to my goals.

Thank You
-CA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for International Relation admission [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 12:05
I don't know the first thing about the program you're talking about, so I can't comment on that.

My hunch is probably schools in the mid-Atlantic/DC area being your best bets if you're looking at b-school: Darden and Georgetown. I think the Fletcher School has a partnership with another b-school to do a joint degree MBA program, but I can't remember which school now. Other schools you may want to look into for b-school are Yale and NYU. But for b-school you may be wise to gain an extra year or so of work experience before applying, as right now it'll be a bit thin compared to other applicants -- unless you happen to get an adcom who digs that your Pink Floyd cover band played back-to-back sets of the entire Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma albums (bongs and acid tabs optional). :-)

Speaking of that, you just reminded me I have to go and pick up that remastered version of Dark Side of the Moon.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation for International Relation admission [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 13:53
Thanks Alex,

I will have to wait for a year anyways since I do not have funds. And u remind me that I'll have to get that new album as well.

Chinmay

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Profile evaluation for International Relation admission   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2009, 13:53