Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for Los Angeles Area Part-Time Programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.11
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation for Los Angeles Area Part-Time Programs [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 10:50
Hi Paul!

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

Basic Info: Female/37 yrs old/Latina (South American)

Education: BS in Management from Pepperdine University

GPA: Cumulative: 3.1 HOWEVER, my major GPA for the last two years of undergrad is 3.88. (My low cumulative GPA is due to grades from almost 20 years ago when I (unofficially and irresponsibly) dropped classes and received low grades as a result.

Work experience: Total: 15 years, the last 6 years in the accounting/finance field. I am currently a Financial Analyst at an advertising agency.

GMAT: 710 (Q45/72 % , V42/95%). I do not plan on retaking the GMAT.

Extracurricular activities: Volunteered with several organizations. Organized fundraising project during my junior year at Pepperdine. I've also worked full-time throughout my educational career (even when going to school full-time).

Post MBA industry: Finance

Pepperdine is my safety school, but my first choice is UCLA FEMBA and my second choice is USC.PM.

What are my chances for UCLA or USC? My biggest concern is my cumulative GPA. Will UCLA or USC take my major GPA into consideration? (Given the fact that I believe it is more representative of my academic abilities than grades from when I was a teenager 20 years ago.)

Thank you so much for your insight!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation for Los Angeles Area Part-Time Programs [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 21:29
Expert's post
Hi Amy:
To be perfectly honest, you are not going to have a problem getting into the part time programs at UCLA or USC. How I know this? Because I have helped people with lower GPA and lower GMAT scores get into these two programs -- especially UCLA.
However, this does not mean that we do not need to think critically about the application process. I do not want to give you a false sense of security.

I do not think that your GPA is going to be the issue. This is for several reasons -- the first reason is that it occurred 15 years ago -- the second reason is that you show grade progression -- the third reason is that you did very well on the GMAT. This is somewhat of a proxy for your ability to perform well within a business school program.

I do think that your age may be a concern to the admissions committee. With your 15 years of work experience,they are going to be looking at your career progression. If you are a financial analyst, they are going to wonder why you are not the manager -- for example. This can be mitigated by writing about your significant leadership experiences at work -- either formal or informal. I want to be very specific with my advice for UCLA as well. There is a checkbox on the online application form that asks you if you would consider another MBA program at UCLA Anderson, should the admissions committee deem you a better fit for that program. You are going to want to check that box. That pretty much means they are lining you up for the executive MBA program. If you can write about your management experiences, you may be a good fit for that program, in addition to the FEMBA program.

The long story short -- you will definitely be able to get into Pepperdine. I think that USC is also very realistic. I think that UCLA is also a strong possibility, as long you can address the points above.

I hope all of this helps. Please let me know if you would like to set up an initial consultation for next week. I can share more of the ins and outs of the UCLA program over the phone.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.11
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation for Los Angeles Area Part-Time Programs [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:13
Thank you so much, Paul! I really appreciate it!

I have had jobs in the past in which I managed people, but have since switched my focus to accounting/finance and have had to start from a lower level, so to speak.

I do not yet have my bachelor's, but will very shortly. I'm sure I would have been further along in my career if I had gotten my bachelor's degree much earlier. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. I am in for sure at Pepperdine since they have a joint program (BS/MBA), so I am not too worried. UCLA is my top choice, so all I can do is try!

I will make sure to address those issues in my essays to explain my leadership experience both on and off the job.

THANKS!!!